March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hello

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

mdcrab
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Hello

Post by mdcrab » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:25 pm

We are MD Crab otherwise known as Jim and Sue OConnor and we live in Ellicott City Maryland, about 15 mi west of Baltimore. We have been caching since 2006 and we have roughly 4500 finds in 19 countries, but none in Ireland. We plan to correct that in August when we will be on a tour in Ireland, the usual once around, hit all the tourist spots, 12 days. We are doing it the easy way, letting CIE do the driving and handle the luggage.

What we would like to know - what is your favorite cache, any cache that you think should not be missed? We love caches with historical relevance, places, battles, significant events. If you do not mind, drop a few ideas to us in this forum and we will try our best to work those caches into our visit.

Happy Caching

Jim

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: Hello

Post by fitzet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:10 pm

If you're reliant on public transport, then you're 'limited' to the cities and towns served by those services, hence some caches will be inaccessible to you. If you could post the names of those towns and cities, you would get better feedback.

GC43 (Europe's First) is the obvious suggestion and close to that cache (Bray) there is a good variety of caches. For Dublin city, have a look at the logs for GC4CC6J (Dublin Top Twenty) to see the most 'favourited' caches around. North of Dublin city, Howth also has a good variety of caches, as well as being a good location to visit for any reason ;).

If you're in Belfast, a visit to the Titanic Centre may be on your itinerary. Even if not, there is a series of caches around that area of the city (Titanic Quarter), that lead you to interesting locations.

Cork and Galway cities are, relatively, sparse for caches.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm

And, thinking some more about it, if you hosted an evening time meet and greet event cache in August in Dublin, I'd say you'd get a good turnout from August 7 Souvenir collectors ;)

mdcrab
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by mdcrab » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks fitzet for the quick reply

We are staying in Dublin (Conrad), 2 nights in Belfast at the Hilton, City Hotel Derry, Hotel Westport, 2 nights at Killarney Plaza Hotel, Grandville Hotel Waterford, and finally Royal Marine Hotel, Dublin. The Titanic Museum and the docks are on our schedule for sure.

I have pulled down the coordinates of all our hotels and most of them have a variety of caches within walking distance. Considering that we are at Latitude 53 - 55 degrees North, there should be plenty of daylight in the evening for us to wander about and find some caches.

On Aug 7, we will be frantically trying to remember to pack everything in preparation for a drive to New York to catch an evening flight on Aug 8

jim

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 am

The Conrad and Royal Marine hotels are both within reach of the DART, which is Dublin's public transport train. That can take you to both Howth and Bray. Or, when in the Royal Marine, just stay around Dun Laoghaire and pick off some of the local caches that are part of the Blackrock Powertrail, or stroll south to Sandycove and the James Joyce museum.

My reference to 'August 7 Souvenir collectors' was to the 7 souvenirs available in the month of August, and not to the date of 07 August. One of these souvenirs is earned by hosting / attending an event, and currently there are no events scheduled for Dublin for August.

In Derry, walking the walls and the Tower museum are a must. If the option of a day trip exists, I would encourage you to visit Malin Head and / or An Grianan.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 am

Hi there.

If you check out my profile -(Blue Jay - with 2 spaces) I have a bookmark list of nice caches for tourists. It may be of some help.

Currently there is actually 1 event scheduled : GC57BR9 - http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC57 ... nny-bridge

But there could be more. :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:35 pm

If you're visiting Derry then I'll recommend my own cache City of Derry - Walking Tour http://coord.info/GCPTJG It's more like a long multi than a puzzle and it gets a lot of good logs from tourists to the city.

Loads more new ones all over the city now too that I haven't had a chance to look for yet but the CO is known for good hides :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

mdcrab
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by mdcrab » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Dino

A walking tour is exactly the type of cache we are looking for. Unfortunately, I do not think we have three hours for caching and with both of us in our 70's, 6.8 km is a little too much walking. However, we will definitely cache around downtown Derry and we may run into one of your other caches. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

mdcrab
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by mdcrab » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks to all who responded to our request. posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=3815#

Our trip was great, we ended up with 19 caches, 6 in Northern Ireland and 13 in the Republic. We found 3 virtuals, Stiffy on the Liffey, Blarney Castle, and Dunbrody Famine ship, and one Earthcache at the Cliffs of Moher. These were all places that our tour stopped and we were able to grab the cache. We also picked up caches in Derry, Donegal, Galway, and Killarney, where we stopped for food or lodging. Our two biggest disappointments were that the Peace Bridge in Derry was missing and we never got to the Oldest Cache in Europe. On the good side, that leaves us something to do when we come back, and we plan to come back again and do more touring on our own. We did not see much of Dublin and we have that to look forward to.

Jim and Sue aka MD Crab

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Well done Jim, Glad you enjoyed the trip
Hope we catch up with you in Dublin that next time!