March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Moving to Ireland in November

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

unifieddivide

Moving to Ireland in November

Post by unifieddivide » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 am

Hi all - I'm a Canadian (Halifax) who is moving over to Ireland for a year come Novembertime. Keen to become involved in the local geocaching community - something I've been enjoying for a few years now. Have cached in a few countries (including New Zealand, where I am currently).

Hope you have an active social group here, keen to make caching friends so weekend trips can happen! Yeah! More than likely I will be based in Dublin, but will be up in Norn Iron a lot in Killyleagh to visit the gf.

-Matt

Username on geocaching.com is 'unifieddivide'

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Moving to Ireland in November

Post by MunsterFan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:33 am

Welcome to the madness that is Geocaching Ireland!

Dublin has quite a vibrant social scene with a good few events, so all in all a good place to base yourself, eh!

MF

unifieddivide

Post by unifieddivide » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 am

Cheers for the welcome :)
Glad to hear it - does the group here do many events? BBQ's in the summer months? Cache contests?

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:08 am

See the events thread for announcements of upcoming events and outings

dino

Post by dino » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am

Welcome 8-)

The community in Ireland is probably smaller than what you're used to and well scattered. There are fewer and smaller events but you will get to know people well, especially if you are based in Dublin.

Hope you like it here :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm

We tend to have "Chatty Cache" meet up events every month to 6 weeks in Dublin. Of course we also have other events in between depending on what's happening. For instance AbbeyAckbar just held a very successful WWFM 1X event - and there was Fjon's First to celebrate Fjon's First Father's day. We have one coming up to welcome two German cachers visiting our shores etc etc . They have regular Milk Shake Meet up events up the wee north as well as others too.
If you check out the Search for a cache function - and choose Events & Ireland you'll get a flavour of what's on around now. (not sure if that's just Premium members)
Anyhow keep in touch and if there's not one on around the time you'll be arriving sure let us know and we'll throw an event to introduce you to the gang. :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Hey Matt, looking forward to meeting you here in Dublin. I'm sure you'll settle in no problems, hardest thing for people moving here normally is getting used to the accent, but I guess you coming from the Maritimes you'll settle in right at home :)

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Spark_ie wrote:... hardest thing for people moving here normally is getting used to the accent ....
It's Dublin he's coming to........... not Cork!! :twisted:
Up is good!!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Hezekiah wrote:
Spark_ie wrote:... hardest thing for people moving here normally is getting used to the accent ....
=D> =D> :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:55 pm

That's their mistake :P

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:46 am

Hezekiah wrote:

Har har har :roll:
:lol:

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of us in the Dundalk area but there are plenty in Norn Iron.... If you look up some of the caches you will see a few simular names coming up.

The Casual Geocacher

unifieddivide

Post by unifieddivide » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:35 am

Great to have so many friendly replies!

@Spark - Yeah, somewhat used to the accent but sometimes it still gets me! Newfoundlanders have the most distinct accents for sure!

@dino - The NZ caching community isn't too organized, but the Atlantic Canadian one is very much so. Caches caches everywhere!