March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Howdy

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

General_Melchett

Howdy

Post by General_Melchett » Thu May 31, 2012 11:26 am

Hi all,

I'm Matt, from Waterford. Very new to Geocaching, found it by accident actually!! Come from a map reading background so thought this would be right up my street.

Looking forward to chatting to you all!

Thanks, Matt :)

dino

Re: Howdy

Post by dino » Thu May 31, 2012 11:37 am

"Hello Darling"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxbzb8XXiGQ

Welcome to the forum....have fun :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu May 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi there, welcome! Lots of nice caches around your area!

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Thu May 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Welcome, I am from south of Kilkenny by the way

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Thu May 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks for the welcomes all! :) Just need to locate (pun intended) a GPS. Going to start cheap with a Garmin eTrex H I think. Will be plotting the locations on my maps until then!

@Mr. oda, can you recommend any good caches in your area? I'm up around Aghinraheen woods nearly every week doing Archery.

Thanks, Matt

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Kilkenny the marble city is an earthcache so that makes it a lot easier to "find" without a GPS since it has no physical box. Just round the corner is an easy micro called Gracelands which is outside one of the weirdest houses in Ireland.

Millenium Park is a nice walk but beware of brambles, Burnchurch Castle I seem to remember as an interesting spot as is "Kells".

A while since I've been in the area so lots I haven't visited.

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks Medic, much appreciated! :)

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Thu May 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Also the cacshes down along the copper coast are often good, and I will also recommend most of my own. Down in Waterford I really enjoyed The Cat Flap which is on the opposite side of the river close to the new bridge. I don't know where Aghinraheen woods are so can't guide you there.

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu May 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Welcome to the madness :lol:

I recommend you keep an eye here for events etc as EP has one planned for Cork in the end July start August not counting his two in Kerry this coming weekend.

I am sure we will prob have an additional one or two to add to that before the summers end.

MF

Jonathanwpurvis

Post by Jonathanwpurvis » Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Matt

Welcome on board :)

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Thu May 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks guys.... I'm hoping to take up Geocaching in addition to my main hobby, Field Archery, as I travel all over the county doing this. Will also give me plenty of opportunity to plant caches outside of my own location. :)

Going to give a few a go tomorrow...Crough Woods, Fairy Tree, Kilmacthomas Park and Kilrossanty. :)

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 pm

If you like archery then try EPs Cuckoo cache near Riverstick... let me dig out the GC code... http://coord.info/GC3CHHT

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Thu May 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Great! Thanks for that, added to my "To Do" list.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 am

Hi and welcome :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:38 am

Hi & Welcome.

The Casual Geocacher

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks guys! :)

Have my first cache made, and ready to rock and roll, just need to go place and submit it. Nice little 2 stage cache with an easy puzzle at stage 1 to find the final coords.

Point to note...The first to find this cache will have the pick of nice/ interesting prizes! ;)

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:48 pm

I went off looking for 2 caches today, (Kilrossanty and Crough Woods), but found nothing. :( Admittedly though, I didn't have a GPS, and completely forgot the clues! :D

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Can I ask one favour? Please don't place your first cache until you have found about 10-20 and have yourself a proper gps. It'll give you a good idea what makes a good or a bad cache and you will be able to provide accurate coordinates that will keep seekers happy :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 pm

:D Wasn't going to place my cache without using a GPS first! ;) And yeah, I read one of the threads on here regarding newbie's placing caches. And to be fair, its not a bad idea really. I think that when I do eventually place it, I may put in the description that it is a newbie cache, and any pointers would be appreciated. I do think that the FTF will enjoy the contents of the cache though! :D

My shiny new GPS should be here on Tuesday. [-o<

General_Melchett

Post by General_Melchett » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 pm

First cache found today! Yippee! :D