March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hi :)

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

jaxh725

Post by jaxh725 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm John and I live in Antrim. Just found my first two caches tonight and I think I'm hooked :lol: Heading back out tomorrow to see if I can log a few more.

Using an iPhone atm to see if I really am hooked and then I'll think about getting a handheld GPSr.

Jonathanwpurvis

Re: Hi :)

Post by Jonathanwpurvis » Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 am

Hi John :)

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Sun May 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Welcome to the nut house!

jaxh725

Post by jaxh725 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks guys. Enjoyed a few more finds today :)

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 am

Hi John, there's some great caches in your neighbourhood

jaxh725

Post by jaxh725 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 pm

So I'm slowly finding out BigAndy. Couldn't believe there are over 100 with-in 5 miles of my house :)

Hoping to get back out this weekend and grab a few more, weather permitting.