March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hiya, I'm Aoife!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

aoifecmcc

Hiya, I'm Aoife!

Post by aoifecmcc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi, just to introduce myself. I'm Aoife, a vet student from south Dublin. I'm not new to geocaching, found my first cache around 2005 in west cork, but forgot about it until recently when I got a smartphone that allowed me to pick it up again, and i think i've been properly bitten by the bug this time!

I'm a scout leader and i've just convinced our group to buy four Garmin etrex 10's which are working well so far. I borrow one whenever I can as the GPS on my smartphone is pretty lame!

Anyhow, I've enjoyed finding many caches placed by members of this forum so I though it was about time I said hi!

eef :)

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Hiya, I'm Aoife!

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Welcome! Always good to have a vet around for free consultations! :twisted:
Up is good!!

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:18 am

Welcome and out of curiosity what was the name of the cache that started it all?

dino

Post by dino » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:20 am

Welcome to the forum :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Jonathanwpurvis

Post by Jonathanwpurvis » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Aoife

4 GPRS is certainly a great way for a unit to go geocaching it's a perfect activity for scouts. Maybe hide one in Larchhill?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:30 am

Welcome along! Fair play on getting your scout group involved too.

aoifecmcc

Post by aoifecmcc » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for the big welcome!

Hezekiah, I might empahsise vet student, any and all advice given is taken at your own risk!!

My first cache was Knockomagh summit, GCGQ22 beside lough hyne near Skibbereen, although I thought my first one was GC7999 the one by the Beacon in Baltimore. I have fond memories of being surprised by discovering this one after years of walking past the spot while on holidays down there, but apparently this was my second find! That was 2005 and ironically my dad lost the GPS he bought :roll: so it was only a few months ago I got back into it.

So far the scout leaders have been very enthusiastic about it, we recently went on a leaders only weekend so I introduced them to it by finding a few caches around Carnsore point. Funny you should mention it, we are actually going to Larch Hill with the scouts and are hoping to find a few caches around there. There is one at the gate of Larch Hill alright but I may stick another one up there if I get time. It's surprising that more scout groups aren't into geocaching, it seems like the perfect way to encourage/bribe kids to go hiking!

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Hiya back! I'm TXLiz from AustinTX :hi <cowbot hat
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Aoife - welcome to the forums - you'll find quite a few goecachers have links to scouting.
& I do agree they go hand in hand,

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Team_Astrostar

Post by Team_Astrostar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 am

Hullo and welcome to the forums!

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Welcome to the forum, Aoife. I am an ex scout leader but geocaching wasn't around when I was a leader. It is a good past time for scouts as some of them would have smart phones..
Last edited by Daithi2004 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Casual Geocacher

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:40 am

Hi aoife welcome on board!

I recently got back into the scouting fold myself based down here in waterford. As far as I know jonathan and as its private property there are no caches in larch hill listed on gc.com but the scout shop/oas are setting up dedicated scout geocaches ask the swerve for more info on this and im involved with setting up a mini power trail of caches in the new castlesaunderson scout campsite... so maybe someday Ill meet ya out!

Jonathanwpurvis

Post by Jonathanwpurvis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 pm

Oh good point as an ex scout and leader you forget it's private property

aoifecmcc

Post by aoifecmcc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Just back from our weekend in Larch Hill. We had a great hike yesterday finding five caches along the route - hiking from Kilmashogue to Tibradden to Cruagh wood and back to the campsite to find the cache outside the gate, a great intro to geocaching for the 12 scouts we had with us. Woke up this morning after a rough nights sleep as it was soooo cold, opened the tent door to see a field covered in thick frost; seemingly the weather was playing an April Fool's day trick on us!! Obviously we had to play a few pranks on the scouts too before we headed home :)

We got a few ready-made caches from the scout shop to hide for their own geocaching project. had great intentions of putting one in Larch hill this weekend but forgot to bring the flipping box with us, oh well!

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:10 pm

From my experience the OAS geocaching is growing slowly...I have only found one of them so far and it was a bad experience as i found italmost 300 mtrs from where it should have been...Contacted their store in Bray where it is organised from stating this neatly 4 months ago and still no reply...They seem to have every type of coord instead of using just the one...like GC.com...not in any rush back...

aoifecmcc

Post by aoifecmcc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 pm

I agree, so far it's not very impressive and I'm not really bothered with them personally, other than as a potential learning tool/activity for scouts. I suppose it could grow to serve it's own purpose as a more basic version of the sport, which may be easier to learn for younger scouts (beaver scouts starts at age 6), like for instance if a scout campsite had several caches within closer proximity to each other it would be good for the younger kids, or as a faster once-off activity. Our beavers went to St. Anne's park in Raheny recently to do some geocaching there as there is a high concentration of them, so that they didn't have to walk too far between caches!