March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Helloooo from a Welsh avian who can't even learn to fly...

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eclectic Penguin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Helloooo from a Welsh avian who can't even learn to fly...

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 am

Hello folks!

Some of you may have met me or we possibly have met in South Wales either earlier on this year or in other guises as a Geocoin seller in an event or more probably on-line (my own Eclectic Penguin Geocoin, Puffin - or possibly some of the South Wales Mega 2011 Geocoins...) or perhaps just on the Geocaching forums sometime past (though I've largely dropped out of them, these days).

Some of you may recognise my Geocaching name - I was for my sins, the Geocoin secretary on the Mega Wales 2011 committee that collectively put together that small get together of about 1,500 Geocachers in Swansea last year!

That's way the in the past now for me! The present is that I've had my feathers ruffled and I'm now finding myself suddenly relocated (with a week's notice) working and living in Cork, and rather liking it too at the moment even though I've only been here for 3 days!

Personally, I'd like to get to know Geocachers in the area I've just moved to so I hope this doesn't offend any of you in the Cork/Munster area but ... if my work contract is still in place in Early January, I hope to organise a Geocaching event there, like. There are no other events within 100Km at the moment as far as I can see...

So. er... a tentative Hello... from Eclectic Penguin to the lovely folk of Ireland -still a bit wobbly from the sudden relocation... but very happy to be here too! And would like to put names to faces sometime soon too...
Last edited by Eclectic Penguin on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Helloooo from a Welsh avian who can't even learn to fly.

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 am

Welcome in Penguin !

Spotted your log on one of my caches the other night, nice to see another new face to the scene in Cork! There's a nice little crew of 'us' in Cork these days, a welcome change from when I first started caching.

Yep, there's no issue with having an event in the new year, it'll be a good excuse for some of the folk based 'up' the country to come down and grab some caches too (with all these new challenge caches and all!)

Cork's a good lively spot, I'm sure you'll settle in well over here!
As we say here - "Best of luck" !

Talk to you soon,
Mark (Spark_ie)

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:47 am

Welcome to the Rebel county Eclectic Penguin, if you stay long enough you might become 'naturalised' and be allowed to carry the rare and highly sought after Cork passport.... LOL

I would look forward to an event in the new year, at the last southern event in Waterford we had a chat about organising more events but well you can see where that went.

Drop me a PM here if you like and I look forward to the meet up, don't forget the two week rule!

MF

PS If you think the Mahon Point Tesco is big then head out to Wilton, slightly bigger! :lol:

Cashub

Post by Cashub » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 am

Welcome to the community :)

Funny thou, I misread your nickname as "Electric Penguin" :D

Cashub

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:32 am

Welcome to Ireland. Given your experience you might get nominated as one of (or the entire) bring a Mega to Ireland Committee. :shock:

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here . I'm at the other end of the island but I'd hope to meet up with you at some stage - there are a few of your coins I'd like a good look at ( for discovery purposes) :D
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

Eclectic Penguin

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

The idea behind the event was for me to meet up with a few local cachers but it seems obvious that it would also be a good opportunity for people to come from further afield to meet too. I don't want to organise it too soon - I need to know if my current situation is going to work out (contract, accomodation etc.) but also to hold it as soon as possible so I was thinking mid-late January in a venue either at or near Cork.

That's where I'll need help and local knowledge of somewhere good to hold an event so please, if you are local and know of somewhere with, say a back room that can be booked for an evening, please PM me either on this forum or on the main Geocaching forum. I'll try to take care of the rest.

I've had some experience of setting up events (apart from my experience of being on the committee for Mega Wales 2011 - which is about as different as chalk and chese to a normal Geocaching Event!), my first being austensibly a get together after I orgainsed an outing to Skomer Island (to see the puffins) because we weren't allowed to have one on the island itself. I think I've experienced organising events on the opposite sides of event spectrum with one event having precisely 0 attendees (it was themed around a railway journey and engineering work put a stop to it, last minute!!) to an event last year that, were the circumstances different, nearly became a Mega in its own right, with 400 attendees.

For those who want to discover my Geocoins - you're welcome to do so but I don't have them with me this side of Christmas. I have a personal Eclectic Penguin and also my lovely 6 inch tall Eclectic Penguin, hand crafted from Welsh Slate (a genuine, Geocoin, limited edition of 1 - but none the less recognised by Groundspeak - with its tracking number that starts with EP too!). In case you didn't recognise him, that's not me - that's Jeremy Irish, co-founder of Groundspeak - and yes, we had a Dalek and a Tardis in one of South Wales' events last year too - and they were discoverable travel bugs!

I haven't had much opportunity to go Geocaching yet - partly due to lack of time and also my GPSr doesn't work that well here yet as it really wants to have a raster map to work with. I'm hoping I'll have fixed that by the weekend as I have 2 Ordnance Survery maps and a scanner here in the guest house with me!

I look forward to meeting with some of you soon.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, Eclectic Penguin

You seem to be a very experience geocacher. It would be good to get to Cork sometime for an event. Just to let you know, there is an event being organised on the 14/01/11 - New Years Resolution Event 2012 - http://coord.info/GC38BA6. It would be a good introduction for you to the Irish geocachers...

The Casual Geocacher

Eclectic Penguin

Post by Eclectic Penguin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 am

@Daithi2004 - thanks for the headsup - I'm very much aware of the other events being planned in Ireland in the immediate future and for obvious reasons (even if there are 100s of kilometres distance involved, which wouldn't bother parallel events taking place in the UK) I would avoid organising an event on any of these dates - especially if, by what some have said it may be used as an opportuinity for people to come from further afield to do some caching down south.

Another thing to let you folks know about - if I'm still in the area next summer (and I suspect there's no reason to think otherwise at the moment) a number of Welsh Geocachers have encouraged me to put together a Cork/Wales themed event in Cork where a number would like to come out to visit and spend a few days caching here too (assuming the Swansea/Crok ferry is back up and running - but even if not I've been told there would be interest in such an event). Early stages of thinking about this at the moment since the immediate timescales of me moving out here compared to when that would likely take place - but I figure that would add a new twist to a local event, for sure.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Welcome to Ireland and to the forum Eclectic Penguin :hi
I hear there's great caches to be found in Cork :) It's on our places to cache list so you never know we might get to go there yet.

Abbey

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Eclectic Penguin

Hope you enjoy your time in Ireland and that you will be a regular contributor to the Forum.

I'm a little to far North to make use of an event in Cork especially in the winter, now you might be able to tempt me down that way in the summer. I did get the opportunity to meet you at a couple of the events at Welsh Mega, we made it along to most of them in the few days before the event.

Once again welcome and enjoy the forum.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:02 pm

I agree with SargeNI. I am also too far North for a Cork event in the Winter but definitely maybe during the summer as there is a great motorway from Dundalk to Cork.

The Casual Geocacher