March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hello from Kilkenny

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nomen Luni
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello from Kilkenny

Post by Nomen Luni » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi there. I just heard about geocaching from a friend on Facebook last week and it intrigued me so I had to give it a go. I'm addicted now (Thanks Rebecca ;) ). What a fun activity this is! I've been out a few times over the last few days and I've already found three local caches. Can't wait to go out again and search for more of them. :)

Any other people here in the Kilkenny area?

jme1979
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hello from Kilkenny

Post by jme1979 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Nomen Luni wrote:Hi there. I just heard about geocaching from a friend on Facebook last week and it intrigued me so I had to give it a go. I'm addicted now (Thanks Rebecca ;) ). What a fun activity this is! I've been out a few times over the last few days and I've already found three local caches. Can't wait to go out again and search for more of them. :)

Any other people here in the Kilkenny area?
Hello :D :D :D and welcome to the support group.................we keep trying to develop the 12 step addiction recovery programme, but everytime we meet up to discuss it, someone slaps an event cache on it and everything spirals downhill quickly from there....................

Anyways, not from Kilkenny, but have spent plenty of time passing through, some great spots close by. There's a few people Cork/Waterford way, I'm not too sure on the Kilkenny itself (the map of where all the caches are also kinda gives you an idea of where everyone is based!)

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 pm

jme1979 wrote: Hello :D :D :D and welcome to the support group.................we keep trying to develop the 12 step addiction recovery programme, but everytime we meet up to discuss it, someone slaps an event cache on it and everything spirals downhill quickly from there....................
Like what jme1979 says, welcome to the geocaching anon....(Can't spell the word) Great past timeand I hope you enjoy it. It will bring you too interesting places that you may never have visited.
The best way to get more addicted is by going to events. You will meet other cachers who will bring your number of cache finds up significantly. =D> =D> =D>

The Casual Geocacher

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:16 am

Event coming up in Waterford which is not a million miles away. Will be heading down with family in tow.

OH welcome BTW! :P
Last edited by MunsterFan on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:58 am

Welcome & enjoy :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 am

Welcome to the forums :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Howdy from Austin, TEXAS :hi
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Nomen Luni, as the song says....Welcome to the jungle, We got fun 'n' games :lol: :lol: Pop down to Waterford on Saturday week to meet the local cachers, once you start you can't stop...

Brendan

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 pm

hiya...like brendan I am down in waterford so perhaps come along to the saturday event!

Nomen Luni

Post by Nomen Luni » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:19 am

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone. Unfortunately I don't think I can make it this Saturday. I'm just getting over a bad cold and my finances aren't the best this week. I will keep an eye on the events though and maybe I can come to a future one. Hope you all have fun. :)