March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Australian Cacher in Ireland!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zalgariath

Re: Australian Cacher in Ireland!

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 am

:cry: Well that is me done for this leg of my tour. Today I catch the Ferry to Wales and bid a fond farewell to the Emerald Isle. I have relatively blessed by the weather compared to last time I was here and have done many great caches, some ranking in the Top 10 and more in the Top 20 I have ever done.

A quick Summary....

Days in Ireland: 43
Caches Found: 192
Counties Challenge: 19/32 (Dublin:42, Cork:29, Kilkenny:21, Wicklow:17, Meath:13, Kildare:12, Waterford:9, Kerry:8, Tipperary:8, Carlow:6, Limerick:5, Clare:4, Galway:4, Offaly:3, Wexford:3, Louth:2, Mayo:2, Laois:1, Westmeath:1)
FTF's: 1 - "Our Silent Servant" Letterbox in Cork by Spark IE (GC2MCFR)
Favourite Series: The Monster's Ball in Co. Cork by Spark IE
Favourite Cache: 50 Walk in the Garden - St Kevin & the High Chair
Most Caches by Hider: Peig (26), Spark IE (15), Windsockers (14)

So I fell a little short of my 200 Find / 20 County Goal... due to a work cancellation or two up North and 3 days on the turps in a row this weekend eating into caching time :P hahaha

BUT! I shall return! I will be back in April :D I may set up an Event in Dublin when I come back ;) Would be good to meet the locals as I only managed to bump into 2 cachers.

Also interested to know if any Non-Irish Cachers have completed the County Challenge? Im hoping to knock it off in April. Should be the first Aussie to do it, perhaps the first non-Irishmen?

CHEERS ALL! It's been great fun! See you in a month or so ;)

Zalgariath of Sydney, Australia

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:37 pm

I think Kersti.com has already completed the Ireland County Challenge? Oh and she's an Australian too! :twisted:

She does live in Dublin however! ;)
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm

wildfowler wrote:I think Kersti.com has already completed the Ireland County Challenge? Oh and she's an Australian too! :twisted:

She does live in Dublin however! ;)
Cheater ;) hahaha

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 am

You really seem to have cleaned up a lot of the country! More than half the counties done, hopefully the ones left aren't really remote. You're definitely lacking a lot of caches in the northern part of the country.
You will definitely be the first "non-resident" to nab the County Challenge cache.

I must try the WITG cache you mention. If you plan on doing another one of those, my favourite would have to be number 2 (although you may want to contact the CO beforehand as one stage is illegible), or the loop which takes in 30,31, 36 and a few other caches. As always, the difference in a great mountain cache and a miserable one is the weather. I wouldn't bother setting out if it was misty or rainy unless you really want the smiley.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 am

Haha Cheers!

Yep I didnt get up north much... but I am back in April and will head into Ulster and Connought more then. I think I will spend a bit of time in "The Garden" though as the region is just amazing. Thanks for the recommendations. I had Carrauntoohil on my radar last month but the forcast was rubbish and as I usually cache alone I didnt even try. Will need to find a friend or some clear skies to nab some of the more challenging ones when I return :D

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Iiiiimmmmmmmmm bbbbaaaaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkk :twisted:

Cleaning up the rest of the counties and touring around on holidays :D Hope to bump into some of you soon ;)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:28 pm

See ya tomorrow so :)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi Zalgariath, Welcome Back... Have you done any in North Louth yet?

The Casual Geocacher

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Done 2 in Dundalk... but thats about it :( Heading North soon, might get a few more :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Good to finally meet you :D Hope you enjoyed the event :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 pm

You will have to go to Carlingford as there a quite a few to do there and you will get a lovely walk in the forest. We had are New Year Event there.

The Casual Geocacher

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:19 pm

The Adopted Aussie is returning for one last tour of the Emerald Isle both North and South in September and October. I arrive again on the 10th... when I work out my schedule I'll post where I am going to be when. Still havent managed to meet a lot of the cachers Ive become familiar with... but I am hosting an Event in Belfast in October... might have to have one in Dublin too before I head home ;)

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 am

Iiiiiiimmmmmm bbbbbaaaaaaaccccckkkkkk :twisted:

In Dublin tonight but heading south. Will be spending most of my time next week in Kilkenny and then the weekend hopefully joining the Kerry Assault Team with Barry and a few others. The next week in Waterford then up to Connaught for 5 days. First week in October is all around Belfast where I will be hosting my500 Days Event :D

My last week for Ireland this trip, (and possible for a very long time :( ) will be Dublin and Wicklow. I leave October 18th. Hope to catch a few of you around the traps :D

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 am

Zalgariath wrote:Iiiiiiimmmmmm bbbbbaaaaaaaccccckkkkkk :twisted:

In Dublin tonight but heading south. Will be spending most of my time next week in Kilkenny and then the weekend hopefully joining the Kerry Assault Team with Barry and a few others. The next week in Waterford then up to Connaught for 5 days. First week in October is all around Belfast where I will be hosting my500 Days Event :D

My last week for Ireland this trip, (and possible for a very long time :( ) will be Dublin and Wicklow. I leave October 18th. Hope to catch a few of you around the traps :D

Hi Zalgarith, if you down Waterford way, gimmie a shout and we can meet, see if we can find Barry also

Brendan

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 pm

GDay Serapis!

I will be spending a bit of time down that end of the world! In town Sun 18th night to Wed 21st. Working Mon Tues in the mornings, free Mon/Tue arvo and all day Wed. The following weekend I am looking at heading to Holy Island to grab the Top 10 Challenge (but wont be able to claim until Castle Rock is back online :( )

Looking for places to stay in town now, but will definately be somewhere central :D

I think Barry might be free Wed too ;)

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Wed is cool, get your thinking cap on....will be free to go to the holy Island also...the last one for me also....Bren...

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Awesome. I am on 0851 767 787 ;)

I need to be in Belfast Sunday (25th) night so will probably head to Holy Island on the Saturday 24th :D

I will probably be in Kilkenny Friday night... then head out Saturday morning. I would be heading North and East afterwards. So we would have to drive separately :(

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Huge thanks to Barrisclad, Jumping Jim, Jme, Fjon and Swerve for letting me crash the successful assault on Corran Tuathail (Ireland's Highest Cache) on Saturday. What an awesome adventure!

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:53 pm

My first (and probably only) cache published in Ireland!
Wand-Derg-ing Aussie! (GC34RAX)

Big thanks to Barry for offering to keep an eye on it :D

http://coord.info/GC34RAX

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun May 13, 2012 4:07 pm

FAREWELL EVERYONE!

To those I didnt get to see last night at the Bray Event and again to those I did, a big thankyou and goodbye from this itinerant Aussie Cacher. Over the last 18 months my time spent in Ireland has been fantastic. I ended up with over 600 finds including nearly all the Challenges which will remain some of my most memorable finds. Cheers to all the hiders and friends who have given me so much enjoyment. Zhaoy also says goodbye too. She just fell shy of 100 finds. We have promised we will return once we qualify for the Fizzy Challenge ;)

If you ever find yourselves bound Down Under do make sure you get in touch as I probably wont be checking the forum much anymore.

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish... I mean caches :D

Zalgariath of Sydney & Zhaomin of China