March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Australian Cacher in Ireland!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zalgariath
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Australian Cacher in Ireland!

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Gday Everyone!

My name is Zalgariath and Im on a working holiday in the UK and Ireland this year. I have already done some great Irish caches which linked me to this forum so I thought I'd put a shout out up here to let people know I am around. I travel constantly so if anyone is keen to head out caching with an Aussie drop me a line and I'll let you know when I might be passing through your county :D

Hope to meet some Irish cachers and maybe attend an event or two!

Cheers, Zalgariath of Sydney. (aka James :P )

barraseaclaid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Australian Cacher in Ireland!

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:20 pm

welcome james...
if your down in the south east dont hesitate to give me a buzz i have found good proportion of caches in waterford but still a few niggiling away at me....how long are you in ireland for...

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Big welcome James. If you're in Dublin there's a Cache & Coffee event next week - it's a good opportunity to meet up with a few cachers.

GC2M2E2

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks guys! Drat, I am in Co. Mayo on the 18th... in Dublin 2 days later. Maybe the next one ;)

I did a few great caches in Co. Waterford this week! Barraseaclaid, I am staying in Waterford town next Sunday. Driving down from Dublin Sunday morning so if you are around on Sunday arvo we could head out!

I am in Ireland until the end of February... but will be back again in April. Tripping between here and the UK all of 2011 :D

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:06 pm

great ill have a look at the caches that i have left to find around here and sure we can decide on a few...i must get my own cache back up and running this week too...

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Great! My Irish number is 0851 767 787. Drop me a text and I'll let you know what time I am likely to get into town. :D
Will most likely depend on how "distracted" I get by tupperware inbetween Dublin and Waterford :lol:

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Welcome to the forums! Got a few logs off you over the past day or two !!

Are you in Ireland purely for travel, or will you be working here too ??

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:53 pm

just added you as a friend on gc.com there....you lucky sod why does a job as a forensic scientist get you travelling all over the world? Were not in disimilar professions so should have plenty to chat about!

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Spark_ie wrote:Welcome to the forums! Got a few logs off you over the past day or two !!

Are you in Ireland purely for travel, or will you be working here too ??
Argh yes, I started the monster series! Will be back in Cork in a week or two... will try to attend the Ball! :D

I am working, hence the constant travel. I teach a workshop on Forensic Science in high school to promote the study of Chem/Physics/Bio in senior years. But luckily this means lots of travel... and lots of caches :D

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 pm

Welcome Zalgariath. Will you be going to Dundalk or further North on your travels?

The Casual Geocacher

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Daithi2004 wrote:Welcome Zalgariath. Will you be going to Dundalk or further North on your travels?
Indeed! I will be staying at Newgrange just outside of Drogheda next Wed and Thursday and teaching in Kilkeel on Friday the 21st. I have the 20th off to cache around Louth. I will be back up to Meath, Louth and Monaghan later in February :D

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Next week doesn't suit but let me know in Feb when your are in North Louth. There are some interesting ones in Carlingford and the village has some lovely views.
Last edited by Daithi2004 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Casual Geocacher

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Zalgariath wrote: I am working, hence the constant travel. I teach a workshop on Forensic Science in high school to promote the study of Chem/Physics/Bio in senior years. But luckily this means lots of travel... and lots of caches :D

Sounds class !! 8) 8) 8)

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Well it's been a great couple of weeks! I havent managed to bump into any Irish cachers yet but am in Dublin for the next 6 days ;)

So far I have knocked off 17 counties (all to the south) and clocked up about 70 caches. Highlighst include "Europe's First" which I did two weeks back and this morning tackling the "Sugar Trio" climbing Mt Sugarloaf. Over all quality has been quite good bar 2 days where I struggled with a a lot of DNF's on mostly Peig Caches. Is he still around? Think a few have gone walkies over the winter ;)

Doesnt look like there are any events on before I leave (Feb 20th... just before the next Dublin one! :( ) so I may have to wait til I return in April :D

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:39 pm

FFS you are in Ireland what...two weeks and already streets ahead of me on getting the 32 county challenge!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Post your dates for Dublin as soon as you know them and if there isn't something on we'll arrange something :D

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:31 am

@Barra :lol: That's the advantage of travelling so much for work. I think I will only pick up one or two more Counties before I leave. The rest will have to wait until April ;)

Same with attending an event. I might host one when I get around to organising my return trip in a few months :D

Dublin this week. Using the Favourites to pick a few caches to target... and taking a quiet peek at annoying Bubbles and Fish hahaha

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Zalgariath wrote: so I may have to wait til I return in April :D
Blue Jay wrote:Post your dates for Dublin as soon as you know them and if there isn't something on we'll arrange something :D
I meant post your dates for April :)

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:20 am

Hey Blue Jay! Your Dublin Hides helped me hit 100 Irish Finds today :D

Took me 23 days :lol: Heading to Kilkenny this weekend and then Cork next week. Have a few days off to focus on some series and puzzles. Should be fun!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 am

Cheers & congrats - Nice log for Pantheon too - many thanks :D
Zalgariath wrote:Hey Blue Jay! Your Dublin Hides helped me hit 100 Irish Finds today :D

Took me 23 days :lol: Heading to Kilkenny this weekend and then Cork next week. Have a few days off to focus on some series and puzzles. Should be fun!