March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hello from Newtownards!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kat&john
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello from Newtownards!

Post by kat&john » Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 am

Hi All,

Kat&John here in Newtownards NI and we have recently gotten rather addicted to geocaching! Loving getting out to new places we might not have gone to or even known about and given a great few days out we certainly wouldn't have had. Contemplated individual accounts but we are going to be doing this together most of the time so we are a joint cache hunting unit now :D

Recognise a lot of names on the forum from local logs but yet to bump in to anyone while out hunting, gradually expanding the net now we have lot of the local ones done. Got a decent GPS after running in to phone signal troubles last week in Scotland so now have a gps vs iphone race to home in, gps is in the lead :wink:

Look forward to talking to you all and will try not to exhibit split personality tendencies in our posts! :twisted:

KJ

Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Hello from Newtownards!

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu May 13, 2010 6:44 am

Hi and welcome to the fun. :ban

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 am

Welcome along!

dino

Post by dino » Thu May 13, 2010 7:29 am

Hello and welcome to the forum guys :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Thu May 13, 2010 8:04 am

Welcome KJ. Hope you have lots of fun. :ban :ban :ban

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 am

More crazies joining the party ;)
The addiction is strong!!

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Thu May 13, 2010 8:41 am

Welcome to the craziness. Im originally from Comber (Clueless male) I see you have 1 of ours found already at island hill. Keep hunting, have fun. Hopefully we'll meet at an event soon.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu May 13, 2010 11:37 am

Welocome. enjoy :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

mrmac250

Post by mrmac250 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Howdy KJ, welcome to the lions den, temptation's on its way, welcome to the house of fun! :)
Always good to see new cachers.

PJ

kat&john

Post by kat&john » Thu May 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to future trips out (preferably without the numerous plastic bags of dog poo we seem to find!) and maybe meeting up with some people, we did plant one nearby and have spotted people looking for it from a distance which is cool :)

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu May 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Welcome aboard.

You should keep your eyes open for events its the best way to bump into us crazy people. there is one in dublin and one in portrush this weekend but i'm sure there will be others closer to you if you dont feel like venturing so far so soon.
Also one of the craziess on here is trying to start milkshake drinking events (informal geobanter night) in Belfast its soon too.

Anyway just ask questions and im sure you'll get lots of answer we might have trying to give the odd sensible answer!

abra123cadabra

Post by abra123cadabra » Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Welcome to the madness :D

Geocaching certainly gets you out and about.

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Thu May 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Welcome aboard. It sounds like there plenty of geocaching couples/families on here. My username doesn't represent our team effort at all. I'm all about the glory :wink:

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Thu May 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Kat & John
Nice to see a few more Northern cachers, plenty of new caches in the area to keep you busy for the next few weeks/months/years.

SargeNI from Hillsborough

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Hello and welcome form a fellow Newtownards resident! :mrgreen:

I've seen your name quite a bit of late in Notification emails! Hope you're enjoying my caches!

No doubt we will meet at some point! Just keep an eye out for the black Land Rover! :wink:

I did get beaten to a FTF on your cache by about 5 minutes but not to worry, there'll be more!

All the best!

Graham
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

kat&john

Post by kat&john » Fri May 14, 2010 12:45 pm

We have been thanks, I think you may have been spotted from a nearby window entering the trees that day :) First hide and still got a lot to learn, getting plenty of good ideas from seeing what others have done. I was reminded to check the forum by someone opening their tupperware container containing their lunch just now..

yotter

Post by yotter » Sun May 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Welcome to the mad zone - I haven't taken the meds today. Plenty more new caches coming out in the North Down Area over the next month for you to go for. Will have to make it out of Bangor to get yours soon.

hairytoeman

Post by hairytoeman » Tue May 18, 2010 11:46 am

Hello from sunny Bangor, happy to have some more geocachers in the area. My wife may think I am more normal now, well it was just a thought.
You certainly have a great number of good caches close by, they should get your numbers up quick.

Midnighthunter
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Midnighthunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi guys
I've just joined myself but have seen your name about a good but in the Ards/Bangor area.
Also found your cache at the Ards Railway.
Haven't met anyone out and about yet but hope to put a face to the familiar names in the future.
Cache ya later !