March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Donegal newbie!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

irlpic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Donegal newbie!

Post by irlpic » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello all,
just back from our first ever Geocache adventure and the kids absolutely loved it.
From decoding the clues at home before we set off to the moment they found the cache and then getting to trade their items. They cant wait until our next 'geotrip'. :)

Kili or bust
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Donegal newbie!

Post by Kili or bust » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Great stuff, I hope it is the first of many! Welcome to tha madness, enjoy!!! :D

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Nice one! welcome :D

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Cool! Don't burn 'em out too early! If they say they've enough for the day, they've enough for the day!

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Welcome to the forums. Don't forget to let the little ones find the odd cache as well as yourselves :lol:

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Welcome. More Donegal caches to come.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi and Welcome.

Glad to hear you all enjoyed it. You should try to make it to an event with the other Geokids they will have a ball.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Always good to see another Donegal person on here. We can't have too many :mrgreen:

I saw your log on one of my caches. You mention you're local. Just how local are you? I'm from Castlefinn, now living near Crossroads and TeamHousty are from Ballybofey so you may be close to both of us?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Up Donegal :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, another local here - from Tory Island :D Great to see more Donegal cachers 8)

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:21 pm

welcome and I hope you stay hooked

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:30 pm

yeah welcome - the more the merrier.... :lol:

ditto on the kids - don't push them and let them find the odd one every now and again. i think it works best when they think theres something it for them or they think they are getting one over on the parents. :wink:

what age(s)... looks like were going to have to organise a caching kids event with all the new arrivals to caching :wink: :wink:

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Hello and welcome!
Up is good!!

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Welcome aboard...hope you and the family have a ball!!!

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Welcome to the world of rummaging in bushes for boxes! Hope you have a ball! :mrgreen:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:38 am

Hi there!

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:02 am

welcome, but do take seriously the comments on keeping the young one invovled and dont sicken them by your own enthusiasm. speaking from experience ](*,)
Have some great fun :lol:

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 am

Hello and welcome from Wexford. I agree geocaching is an all-round family winner event, great brain-training and great exercise too. Have fun, as they say the next 20 years is the hardest :P

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi & Welcome.
Enjoy :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

hairytoeman

Post by hairytoeman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Hello from Hairytoeman and HTM Jr in North Down. I hope you have as much fun caching as we do.

irlpic

Post by irlpic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Thank you all for your kind welcome.

We found our second cache on Sunday evening at the Stone Circle outside Raphoe Co. Donegal.
I think i can officially leave the introductions thread now and venture out into the other threads here seeing as i am now an experienced Geocacher!! :) 8)