March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hi there!

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

softball29

Hi there!

Post by softball29 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:26 pm

Hello to Ireland from upstate New York.

It'll be many months before I come across the pond to visit your great country, alas, I always like to check out local forums and get ideas way in advance! Me and my brothers are planning a trip in late June/early July. Being they aren't cachers, I'll probably take one day to do some caching in the hopes of seeing some great spots.

The forums also look like a fun place to hang out here!

dino

Re: Hi there!

Post by dino » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:37 pm

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Be careful though, some of our foreign members are still here a long time after their trip was over :wink:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:58 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure once you have a good idea of where you are going to be and when that there will be plenty of help and advice on where to cache.

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Welcome! If you're hitting Dublin on your trip (and let's face it, you have to!) let us know and we hould be able to meet up!
Up is good!!

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Welcome to the madhouse!! :mrgreen:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Don't forget, the most scenic stuff is outside Dublin. ;)

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Hezekiah wrote:Welcome! If you're hitting Dublin on your trip (and let's face it, you have to!) let us know and we hould be able to meet up!
not really - they could fly into Belfast or Shannon

Someone needs to show the Dub's theres life outside the M50 :lol: :lol: :lol:

ooh and welcome to the forums and Ireland (North or South)

sukisuix

Post by sukisuix » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:29 pm

A warm welcome to you.

softball29

Post by softball29 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:01 am

Thanks all for the responses and welcomes. I figure nine months of hanging out here should get me prepared for 5-6 days in Ireland, no? 
dino wrote:Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Be careful though, some of our foreign members are still here a long time after their trip was over :wink:
Yeah – many of the forums I join for this reason seem to turn out that way. I don’t always go back every day, but I always seem to check in, say hi and chat some! Haha.
Hezekiah wrote:Welcome! If you're hitting Dublin on your trip (and let's face it, you have to!) let us know and we hould be able to meet up!
Dublin is actually where we are going to stay. We are going to take one day and head to Cork and such, but for the most part we’ll be in and around the Dublin area.

I’ll only be probably doing a full caching day one time during the trip, but I’m hoping I can meet up with a few locals who would be willing to give someone from across the pond a proper look around the caching in and around and outside of Dublin! 
johnrm wrote:Welcome to the forum!
Don't forget, the most scenic stuff is outside Dublin. ;)
I hope to be in and outside of Dublin. As an avid photographer, I’ll want to see as much as I can in a short amount of time!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:42 am

I had a quick look at your HooHaa (Thanks Al Pacino!) website, it looks all party and no beer, some of the links no worky.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:47 am

Welcome to the forums.
Hope you enjoy your visit when you get here.

softball29

Post by softball29 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:06 pm

johnrm wrote:I had a quick look at your HooHaa (Thanks Al Pacino!) website, it looks all party and no beer, some of the links no worky.
Which site? The regular blog or the photo blog? And which links weren't working?

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:15 pm

if your on facebook and into photography you may want to join this group....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 586&ref=ts

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 pm

PJs look at the world > archives ... Pretty much everything in there.

softball29

Post by softball29 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 am

johnrm wrote:PJs look at the world > archives ... Pretty much everything in there.
That probably happened when I was trying to switch themes. I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for pointing it out!

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 am

Hi and welcome.

If you are coming over and visiting place with your Brothers you could sneak in some caching while you are with them. I am sure you will find caches at most of the places you visit.
If you let us know where you are planning to go, we can let you know the caches that are at the places you will be visiting.
You never know you might convert your Brothers to our religion.

softball29

Post by softball29 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:34 pm

Zoe andDaddy wrote:Hi and welcome.

If you are coming over and visiting place with your Brothers you could sneak in some caching while you are with them. I am sure you will find caches at most of the places you visit.
If you let us know where you are planning to go, we can let you know the caches that are at the places you will be visiting.
You never know you might convert your Brothers to our religion.
I am figuring that I'll be able to sneak in some caches while out and about for sure. I am looking forward to one (hopefully) full day of caching, however, to see some of the outskirts and areas that only locals would really know about.

One fun thing I've always enjoyed about caching while traveling is the friendliness and kindness of fellow cachers. I've been to several places where I've met locals and been given a full-day tour to not only cache, but to see some incredible spots that many might never find. As a photographer, I love that!

My brothers won't be converted, I can say that! One doesn't mind sometimes to go, the other finds it "silly." No biggie, it's their loss. I know I am stopping to do a few during the one day we head from Dublin to Cork no matter what they think!

As things get closer and I really start planning, I'm sure I'll be checking in here and seeing about easier caches near things we are doing. That way, if I slip away for a few moments, it won't be all too bad!

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:52 pm

I was at Geowoodstock Yesterday and of all the people I met and spoke to I met I had to meet someone who has been on the forum. I bumped into Softball while he was helping out with an bird banding activity at the event. He has taken some photos so hopefully he'll get them up soon. Good Lad and Spoke very highly of his reception when he went to Ireland exactly a year ago. Steve and Alan took good care of him.