March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Hello! Another one from the North.

Feel free to join up and introduce yourself to the Irish Geocaching community. Don't be shy now...

Moderator: GCI Admins

Step_7

Hello! Another one from the North.

Post by Step_7 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi all, I'm Niall from Antrim town - just started Geocaching last month and already well and truly hooked. Been doing caches close to home and work but planning to venture further afield as the summer comes along. My 2 boys (7 and 9) are, amazingly, enjoying getting out and walking in the countryside - anything that can prise them from their Playstation and Lego has to be a good thing.

See you all around! :)

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Welcome aboard Step 7,
7 and 9 yr olds, Hmmm... I'm still trying to convince mine!

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 pm

johnrm wrote:Welcome aboard Step 7,
7 and 9 yr olds, Hmmm... I'm still trying to convince mine!
I used the "Hidden Treasure" angle - they love Indiana Jones so that's how they think of it. Once they find themselves in the middle of a muddy wet forest scrabbling about under rotten trees they might rumble me.... :D

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Tue May 05, 2009 9:20 pm

greetings Step 7 from Spy Caleb in the NW
Take a bit of advice from spy, "dont push the guys"
Mine have given up on me a long time ago!
Its much easier to do it alone......
no moaning :cry: and groaning :(
have lots of fun \:D/

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue May 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Welcome and hope you are enjoying the game. You have lots of other northern cachers up there and new caches seem to appear by the second.

Must say that it surprises me that more younger kids are not attracted to the hobby as much as us older kids! :D

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi Niall

Welcome on-board to both Geocaching and the Forums hope you enjoy your future caching. I have meet a few kids out in the field and they all seem to be enjoying it, provided they can control the GPSr, that the bad news - two new devices required soon.

You'll find quite a few cachers up here in the North and they are all very helpful and welcoming, so feel free to contact any of us for any assistance needed, we don't normal bite.

Hope you get down Hillsborough direction soon to complete a few of my own caches.

All the best
SargeNI

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 am

Hi Niall and welcome to the forums.

Why not come down to Fermanagh for the event 16/17 May and meet some of the reprobates whose names you will see on cache logs.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed May 06, 2009 8:00 am

Greetings fellow Miniclub member !!! :D :D :D

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 06, 2009 8:01 am

Hello Niall from Niall in the NW.....welcome to the forum :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed May 06, 2009 10:05 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Reading Dino's post there I could only see Spark's badger from the navel down and for a moment I thought we had a much more interesting avatar on the forum! Sit back down Parky!! :wink:

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed May 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Kili or bust wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Reading Dino's post there I could only see Spark's badger from the navel down and for a moment I thought we had a much more interesting avatar on the forum! Sit back down Parky!! :wink:
Lol, I received similar sentiments from other forums about too... Especially when I was looking for a new gear 'knob' for my mini !!!

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed May 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Sit back down Parky!!
Honi soi qui mal y pense.

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Wed May 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Welcome Niall - hope you continue to enjoy geocaching, especially with the kids, and if you have a better half ask her to join the forum please :D It's a male dominated world here most of the time :cry:

bigstevie1275

Post by bigstevie1275 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:07 am

hey steppy hows things.. i see ur getting into this rightly... still gotta talk about about a mini adventure cache day

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 am

bigstevie1275 wrote:still gotta talk about about a mini adventure cache day
Indeed we do! Could just re-use the Lough Neagh Tour route - there's loads on that! ;) I was also thinking about placing a mini-related cache somewhere for the 50th anniversary but still working on it!

bigstevie1275

Post by bigstevie1275 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Step_7 wrote:
bigstevie1275 wrote:still gotta talk about about a mini adventure cache day
Indeed we do! Could just re-use the Lough Neagh Tour route - there's loads on that! ;) I was also thinking about placing a mini-related cache somewhere for the 50th anniversary but still working on it!
oh that sounds great keep me up dated on that