March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Info on Climbing Carrauntoohil or Walking the Reeks

This forum contains useful information on various topics.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Info on Climbing Carrauntoohil or Walking the Reeks

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

I've been asked by a number of cachers lately about climbing Carrauntoohil. Possible routes, accomodation, time, skills needed, caches etc etc etc.

Hopefully this will give some of you the information you've been looking for, and maybe that bit of inspiration needed :!: 8)

Ok so to start:

Where is it :?:
Spark_ie wrote: Carrauntoohil is the Highest Mountain in Ireland, at 1039m, and is approximately 17km (10 miles) WSW of Killarney, Co. Kerry.

Cool ! I wanna do it.. When's the best time :?:
Spark_ie wrote:Well, you can climb Carrauntoohil any time of the year. I would say the most important factor to consider when climbing is not your own skill level nor your stamina, it's the Weather :!:
Provided the weather is clear, or at least not windy, it's safe to climb any time of the year. Although during winter months (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar) you will need to take particular care of ice!

OK, Are the websites I can check to get weather forecasts :?:
Spark_ie wrote: Yep, there are a few that I use: NOTE Even if good weather is forecast, given Carrauntoohil's close proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, the weather can change extremely fast, especially near the summit! Always take warm clothes with you - Further detailed below.

Right, I've checked the weather, and it's looking good.. Where can I start the hike from :?:
Spark_ie wrote:
Well, this totally depends on what you want to do..
Do you want to 'Just' climb Carrauntoohil, or do you want to do to part, or all, of the Reeks Ridge?
. wrote: Carrauntoohil

To be honest, the route as described on the Cache page (GCL39P) is very descriptive, and is the 'normal' route taken by climbers. You will have no problems navigating your way to the top.

Going at a 'normal' pace, starting at Cronin's Yard, you should be on the tippy top within 2.5 / 3 hours. The total distance from Cronin's yard is approx 14km return. You can expect to be back in the carpark 6/7 hours later (Including having lunch on top, numerous breaks along the way)
Curious Cacher wrote:Do you have to pay for parking here? --- In the carpark, next to the phonebox, you will see a metal box. It's a simple un-manned donation box.
Curious Cache wrote:Is the trail head pretty obvious or are there coords available somewhere? --- There is a clear path all the way from Cronin's Yard. This path involves crossing rivers etc.. Don't expect a smooth tarmac'ed path all the way to the top!!
Curious Cacher wrote:How far from Killarney is Cronin's Yard? --- Approx 30 mins drive (20km). From Killarney: Take the N72 (Ring of Kerry road) towards Killorglin. After Fossa Village, turn left for the Gap of Dunloe. Continue on this road for approximately 8km until you come to Kissane's Shop and Maxol Service Station. Go over a small bridge and take the next left (signposted for Cronin’s Yard and Tea Room, Carrauntoohil). Proceed to the end of this road, approximately 3km to Cronin's Yard.
. wrote: Reeks Ridge

The Reeks Ridge is longest and most sustained ridge walk in Ireland. This route requires confidence over steep ground, however the rewards are of tremendous views

Routes can be anywhere from 13km including 1000m ascent, up to 19km with 1700 ascent!

Details of these routes, including mapping, can be found on An Gunna Mór cache page

Hope this helps!!! 8) 8)

Jumpin Jiminie

Re: Info on Climbing Carrauntoohil or Walking the Reeks

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Cheers for this Mark.

Definitely come in handy for the weekend of the Cork event!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Are you thinking of doing the Carrauntoohil climb that weekend Jamie?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:32 am

Totally weather dependent Eileen but the plan is to do a route that will take in a few of the bigger ones down there. Fingers crossed we get some decent weather for it!

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 am

Jumpin Jiminie wrote:Totally weather dependent Eileen but the plan is to do a route that will take in a few of the bigger ones down there. Fingers crossed we get some decent weather for it!
Kili and Johnrm did this walk last August.. I'm sure they'll testify, as well as I do, that this is indeed a fantastic walk ! =P~ =P~

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:16 pm

I climbed it last June 2010. Great walk. I did the half of the Coomloughra Horseshoe. Good walk. Here is a good video I came across on youtube. I tried the geocache up there but couldn't find it. Could you email me a picture if you find it? I was so disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiWND69 ... re=related

The Casual Geocacher