March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

OSI maps on Garmin. Eire Discoverer announced

This forum contains useful information on various topics.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DiamondDuo
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

OSI maps on Garmin. Eire Discoverer announced

Post by DiamondDuo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:08 am

http://garmin.blogs.com/uk/2009/09/comp ... verer.html

"Global leader in personal satellite navigation Garmin is proud to announce the launch of a new series of the award-winning Garmin topographic maps. Garmin Eire Discoverer is the latest in the mapping range, offering full coverage of the Republic of Ireland.

These revolutionary new maps bring outdoor enthusiasts the opportunity to view a wider variety of highly detailed mapping from the Ordnance Survey of Ireland (OSi) map series, whilst navigating with turn-by-turn accuracy on the road network. "

TeamHousty
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: OSI maps on Garmin. Eire Discoverer released

Post by TeamHousty » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:14 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

€160 per region - i'll stick with geolives, for my discovery maps

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: OSI maps on Garmin. Eire Discoverer announced

Post by Fjon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:08 am

Good news that we finally get this, but that price is outrageous. Can't really see a big uptake on it.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Absoutely ridiculous pricing for pretty mediocre mapping. Ireland OSI hasn't even got many of the newer Irish parking areas at the start of walking routes included.

I think both they (OSI) and Garmin need to take a serious look at their offerings and the extortionist prices they are looking for.

Also, any outdoor enthusiast operating in Ireland or visiting from abroad would regard any mapping that does not include Northern Ireland and the magnicent Mournes among many others, a complete waste of effort!

(This was a rant I tried to put on to Garmin comments page but it wont' go for some reason so just letting off steam here instead!)

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Wow Wee, thats a price tag alright isn't it ?!

DiamondDuo
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by DiamondDuo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Kili or bust wrote:Absoutely ridiculous pricing for pretty mediocre mapping. Ireland OSI hasn't even got many of the newer Irish parking areas at the start of walking routes included.

I think both they (OSI) and Garmin need to take a serious look at their offerings and the extortionist prices they are looking for.

Also, any outdoor enthusiast operating in Ireland or visiting from abroad would regard any mapping that does not include Northern Ireland and the magnicent Mournes among many others, a complete waste of effort!

(This was a rant I tried to put on to Garmin comments page but it wont' go for some reason so just letting off steam here instead!)
Pretty steep all-right.

E640 for Rep of Ireland! I guess this also effectively incudes the same Navteq data as in City Navigator, which costs E40.00 for UK+Ireland (good value imho) so you're paying E600 for the OSI maps. Too expensive to justify, albeit a full set of paper OSI maps would prob cost about the same.

I was wondering what will happen for NI, as it's not included in GB Discover either. Maybe they'll release a NI product with a more politically acceptable name than GB or Eire Discoverer.

Garmin blog comments are moderated before they appear on the blog, so I doubt they'll accept yours ;-)

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:14 pm

OS maps in Northern Ireland are under the control od Ordanance Survey Northern Ireland (OSNI). As of yet I don't believe they have agree to release the digital image for NI yet. I originally asked them way back in 2004 about the Mournes area and they said they had no immediate plans to. Hopefully that may have changed since then. I work next door to them so I must pop in and ask some day!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:31 pm

There prices are a joke, they will say its high because people are ripping them off and selling them cheap. If there map were cheaper poeple would buy them from them.

Wildlower please go and ask them if they are releasing NI, see if they will offer a discount for Geocachers.

I am looking at doing a two day caching walk in the Mournes next year and maps on my GPS with footpaths would be so much easer.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 am

What a ridiculous price.

Who is going to do this? Everyone in the know will just do something like get City Navigator, the free Topo maps linked to here. And then possibly OSM Routable on there as well.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Its good news and bad all together.
Think we all suspected the hold up with Garmin and the Osi maps for Ireland was about CASH.
As it turns out our suspicions were proved to be true.
Who is going to fork out that sort of money!!!!
Hope they soon will come at a more sensible price so that we can avail of these resources asap. I have seen them downloaded on to i think it was an i phone at a cost of 150 euro for the entire country!!!

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi all, I have a Garmin Oregon 400t and need to get a map of Ireland loaded onto it for hiking, can anyone tell me if such a map exists and if so how to install it, Garmin state mapsource is only available when I buy a map from them howevet they dont do one yet and the ones coming out are expensive.

DiamondDuo
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by DiamondDuo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:26 pm

ChrisG wrote:Hi all, I have a Garmin Oregon 400t and need to get a map of Ireland loaded onto it for hiking, can anyone tell me if such a map exists and if so how to install it, Garmin state mapsource is only available when I buy a map from them howevet they dont do one yet and the ones coming out are expensive.
There is a loophole that will allow you to install mapsource:

http://freegeographytools.com/2007/garm ... e-for-free

You have two choices for installing a free map of Ireland:

1) http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
or
2) http://emerald-island.eu/wikka/GpsMap

Both use data from openstreetmap that includes most of the summits in Ireland, and some paths and tracks. Most off-road areas are not well mapped though so ALWAYS make sure you have a good paper map of the area.

D

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi Diamond duo

Thanks for info. Could not get mapsource to work on that download, however I have been able to set up the emerald-island.eu map using the sendmap programme. If anyone else has any trouble I can talk you through the procedure, easy when you know how!!!

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:56 pm

During our research for a Garmin unit, we wanted to get one with Topo maps installed.

When looking at the 400t I used this page to make our decision to purchase, as the map said all of Ireland was included on the maps.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/topo ... popup.html

We havn't recieved the unit yet, so I can t confirm whether or not the all Ireland maps are on, but after reading this thread Im hoping that we havn't been conned into buying something which isnt as advertised.

Hound of Ulster

Post by Hound of Ulster » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm

Dear Mr McKibbin

Regarding your query on Northern Ireland mapping for your Oregon 300.

I am pleased to inform you that Garmin have indeed licensed OSNI mapping and are currently developing Northern Ireland mapping software which will be compatible with the Oregon 300. Unfortunately a precise launch date is not yet available however it is expected to be some time in July 2010. As far as I'm aware the mapping will be the Northern Ireland equivalent to what is already available for Britain. =D>

I hope this helps

Sounds like good news, depends on the price though. =P~

HoU

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:30 pm

I guess what I'm going to make a request which it is highly unlikely that anyone can accommodate, but here goes:-

Does anyone have a copy of the Northern Ireland Discoverer maps they would like to trade for the Eire Discoverer South West?

In the great Cotswold give away in Belfast my new Oregon 300 appeared to come with an official SD card with the SW region maps and these are not a lot of use to me at present other than for a possible trade.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Making a couple of enquiries for you Robbie. You never know it might just be possible as I would like that SW map and I have a slight chance of getting your one. My friend seems to think that the NI one is not there yet though??

cerbera147

Post by cerbera147 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Has anybody actually got the Garmin Northern Ireland Discoverer maps :?:

At £100 they aren't cheap but the mapping looks sooo good :D

Are they good value? I assume you would only have to buy once; how often do the roads and walkways change over here? Or do they provide updates? Probably at a price :roll:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=86507

Image Image
Image Image

Bootle

Post by Bootle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:39 pm

I got the ROI ones a few weeks ago and really like them. The detailed OSI discovery maps are so much more superior to the rather empty Navteq maps, especially in rural / off-road locations, where Navteq is fairly useless.

Your question about updates is interesting. I've driven from Limerick to Dublin and Waterford to Dublin in the last few weeks with my GPS turned on and the Discovery maps installed. As the new motorway improvements from these cities are not yet included on the Discovery maps it is rather interesting to watch your location pointer moving across what was once fields, paths, forests, etc! I imagine anyone buying the next update of these maps (if and when they are updated) will have the definitive set of ROI roads for some time to come as I can't imagine the government will be spending much on road improvements over the next few years compared with the last 15 years or so.
hello...

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Did anyone ever get the Northern Ireland Discoverer Maps, wondering how good they are?