March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

What's the Wisdom on Hot Glue Guns?

This forum contains useful information on various topics.

Moderator: GCI Admins

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

What's the Wisdom on Hot Glue Guns?

Post by GoldCircle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:11 pm

I was thinking about parting with a tenner for a hot glue gun. Just wondering if there's any wisdom out there or are they all much of a muchness?

And will hot glue hold magnets any better/ as well as epoxy resin (or superglue on smaller ones)?

And presumably 50W is hotter than 10W - but does it matter for our purposes?

Any for replacement sticks - which size is easiest come by? 8/10/12mm etc.
Image Image

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: What's the Wisdom on Hot Glue Guns?

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 pm

I would recommend using epoxy as my experience with hot glue is that it is not durable on items that are exposed to rough handling which lets face it caches are.

Once you are sure the container can take either the epoxy or superglue (be careful it doesn't melt container) then I would proceed witha test case before deploying

MF

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 am

Glue gun works fine for me - keep an eye on Aldi/Lidl for guns and sticks! I use a bucket of water and/or freezer to test glue on new materials.
Up is good!!

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Two strong button magnets on the container and some high quality tape does the job for me nicely.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Does the glue gun glued stuff last outdoors - want to stick some magnets to a flat plastic surface and also to a metal one?
Super glue worked for a while but failed then

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Er, yes and no.

Applied to a smooth flat surface, it seems to simply chip off in frost; where I had rough, uneven surfaces, it definitely fares very well.
Image Image

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks Goldcircle.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde