March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

What map use to E trex Garmin GPS?

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

betamesz
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

What map use to E trex Garmin GPS?

Post by betamesz » Mon May 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi, could You please advice me -as I new in this, we are just starting- what map do I supposed to add to my E trex 20 Garmin GPS to enjoy our hunting for "treasures"?
Is there any top list of the most greatest catches in Ireland? Or just in Connacht?

Thanks for any advice.
Beata

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: What map use to E trex Garmin GPS?

Post by fitzet » Wed May 20, 2015 8:50 am

I'm not familiar with the Etrex, but have a GARMIN device (Oregon) and this thread gt me sorted for loading OpenStreet Maps (OSM). It may be relevant for your Etrex.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3773

This link should display the caches in Connacht that have received the most Favourite Points. It is what many people use to ranks caches in an area, i.e. what ones were 'favourited' by others.

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest ... c&sort=fav

betamesz
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by betamesz » Wed May 20, 2015 11:41 am

And how do You find this map?
Is open street map has good updates?

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Wed May 20, 2015 2:17 pm

betamesz wrote:And how do You find this map?
If you mean what is my opinion of this map, then it's the best free map available for my GARMIN. The base map on the Oregon is very basic, so anything else could only be an improvement. There are other free maps out there but I have not looked at them; I am happy with OSM.
betamesz wrote:Is open street map has good updates?
Yes, though map updates are less significant for geocaching then they are for driving.

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 20, 2015 3:28 pm

I'm pretty sure that the etrex doesn't have mapping capabilities?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 pm

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

If the Etrex 20 has a slot for a micro card you can download from this site...never had a problem yet..

betamesz
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by betamesz » Wed May 20, 2015 8:14 pm

OK, good to know. I have slot for mikro card, so as soon I will get my card :) I will try to download it.