March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Downloading OSM maps and loading to GARMIN Oregon

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Downloading OSM maps and loading to GARMIN Oregon

Post by fitzet » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:44 pm

I have spent a few hours today trying to to download some OSM maps and load them to my GARMIN Oregon.

The map detail I wish to download is this;

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.2522/-6.2426

So far, no luck.

Can anyone direct me to a 'for Dummies' style guide that works ?

Thanks

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Downloading OSM maps and loading to GARMIN Oregon

Post by GoldCircle » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 am

Yes,

Click here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Select what you want (for all of Ireland, don't forget to click the Enable Manual tile Selection tick box and add Belfast).

Easiest way thereafter is to use the Micro SD version and simply save the downloaded file on to your Garmin's SD card (assuming you have one on board).

Should be that simple.
Image Image

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: Downloading OSM maps and loading to GARMIN Oregon

Post by fitzet » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks GoldCircle
For what it's worth .. my difficulties were a conflation of Win7 file associations for .img files, GARMIN BaseCamp interference and a general FUBAR state of my PC and Oregon based on the various trials and errors.

I ended up downloading the exe to get the map defined to BaseCamp and using it to transfer the maps to the Oregon. They're not at the detail I hoped for (i.e. as in the link I posted, same as used in c:geo) but seem to be at a similar standard.

Thanks, again, for your help.