March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

How are FTFs counted ?

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

How are FTFs counted ?

Post by fitzet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 am

Does the first person to log the cache online get credit (for badge purposes) for the FTF ?

On Saturday, I was second to a newly published cache and was holding off logging my find online 'til the first to log logged their find online. In the meantime, a third cacher has logged their find.

Do they now get credit for the FTF ? If not, how to Groundspeak determine who should get the credit ?

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: How are FTFs counted ?

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:54 am

Groundspeak don't keep track of FTFs.

If you want FTFs to show in your stats you'll need to do either:

If you use GSAK to generate your stats, then when you download all your finds you need to tick the FTF tickbox associated with each cache listing in your database. GSAK will then know you've got an FTF on that cache, and work out your stats accordingly.

If you want to use stats on project-gc ,you'll need to create a bookmark on your gc.com account. Simply call this 'Fitzet FTF' and add all the caches you have had FTFs on into that bookmark. In your profile settings on project-gc.com you can link that bookmark to your FTF stats; and it will work out all your stats based on dates logged etc.

Hope this helps? :-)

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for that. I am generally not bothered about FTFs. If one falls into my lap, grand. Reading logs, where people have dashed out last at night to claim the prize, leave me bemused.

My question was based on would me logging it online 'deny' the FTF cacher the recognition of getting credit. From your reply it seems that it would not, so I'll get on with it so.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:04 am

I think you can also do it like this, include;

{FTF}

in your FTF log so project-gc can pick it up as an FTF.
Last edited by Frezeluberz on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm bemused by people who post all their stat. Stats!!! STATSSS!!! ! :shock:
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Mini-Tap
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by Mini-Tap » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 pm

A FTF is who gets to and signs the physical log first. Its nothing to do with logging it online, and it makes me laugh when people type in First to log.

Mini-Tap
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by Mini-Tap » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:32 pm

I feel a bit stupid answering that now, seeing as the question was asked in 2010!!

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Question was asked last October (2013)!
Project GC lists the number of FTFs as part of a cacher's stats. My question was related to how that measure was calculated.

's all