March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

nexus 7 tablet and oregon..

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

nexus 7 tablet and oregon..

Post by dr dingdong » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 am

Hi guys I have recently got myself a nexus 7 tablet and have been wondering is there any way I can transfer my pocket queries from the tablet to the Oregon 450..
I usually use my netbook to drag and drop the files onto the garmin...

Also I have been using cachesense on the nexus 7 and nexus 4 and it runs really well..a massive improvement over my previous blackberry torch and playbook..
Thanks. Steven.

dino

Re: nexus 7 tablet and oregon..

Post by dino » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 am

I don't think you can communicate the two but there was some discussion on the CS forum about doing that. I don't think they were able to get it to work though. I think you're main issue here is that there are no drivers for the Oregon for Android and no way to get them talking to each other. I think a Win8 tablet could do that but then you wouldn't have CS ;)

Can they connect over Wifi?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Cheers. I can't seem to find a way to connect with wireless either.
I will just take the netbook with me on longer trips..
Thanks again...
Steven.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:30 pm

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 am

I had an android tablet a while ago and was able to do it after downloaded Astro file manager

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 am

OK I have tried the nexus media importer which shows the Oregon files and tablet files next to next but i cannot see a way to transfer or move from one to the other.
Then I tried the astro free which gives me the option to move files but it does not show or recognise the USB connection.
Cheers.

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Any joy? I was speaking to a buddy of mine with a nexus and says his recognises most USB devices. On mine I navigate to usbhost if that's any use