March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

help with pocket queries to cover northern ireland...

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:56 pm

hi guys i have been having some trouble with my northern ireland.or the top 1/3 if ireland pqs as my garmin keeps missing some out or my pq settings are messed up...
as in work i could be anywhere in northern ireland i always like to have my oregon well stocked up..
so has anyone pqs for the top part of ireland...
i thought mine were working properly untill recently was up caching on the antrim coast i thought a had covered the area untill i logged on the computer at the hotel and realised i had about 20 missing which i had to go back for...so i am probably passing caches regulary...
any help very welcome as i am now just running a standard nearest 1000 caches which does not reach far enough...thanks steven..

dino

Re: help with pocket queries to cover northern ireland...

Post by dino » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 pm

What are you using so far that is missing some caches?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 pm

I had been running 2 pqs and thought they were fine untill I realised that there was quite a few missing. I had thought my dates and things were fine and had checked them but could not see the problem. I have not run them for a while and may have deleted them. If they are still on my system I will try and post them for you to take a look at. Also is there a link to all Ireland pqs using the 1000 limit pqs. As you have probably noticed computers are not strong point and usually totally baffle me.
It may be an issue with my Oregon 450t and not the pqs!

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 pm

sorry i have deleted them..but i think i had used a cache somewhere around omagh as the starting point.
i set the distance to something like 123kms to cover from donegal to the ards peninsula and the north coast to monaghan direction..
cant remember the dates but the first cache turned up about 950 and the second 800 odd!..
i also just picked traditional and multi caches...

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

think i have sorted it but dont know what was causing the original issue...cheers..

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:34 pm

At a rough guess you would need a center point around N 54. 33,549 W 006. 46,518. A radius of 60 miles should pick up all of Northern Ireland but it will include parts of Southern Ireland as well.
You will need to play with the dates to get your PQ's right - start with 1 Jan 2000 and work up to you come close to the 500 or 1000 cache limit . Once you do start a new PQ keep everything the same except the dates start the dates from where you finished the last PQ and keep going to you get right up to date . remember to set the final date on your last PQ well into the future so it continues to pick up newly published caches . All you have to do is keep an eye on the last PQ and when it reaches its limit change the dates to suit and start another one .
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 am

cheers beefy i will try with your co ords and the 60 mile limit..thanks for your help..cheers!!..

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 am

I'll try and work you up some dates tonight if I get a chance .

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:48 pm

I've started just to use Ulster as the state/province filter. I used to use a radius based approach and obsessed too much on what was appearing and these ran to five reports. I know I'm missing some but if I'm going to a specific area for a bit I'll make a more detailed PQ

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 pm

OK it looks like you need 3 one thousand cache PQ's to cover Northern Ireland .
This will also bring in caches from Southern Ireland and Scotland as it is a radius based search but it should bring in all caches that are available in Northern Ireland .For all 3 PQ's keep the following information the same -
1000 caches
Any type
Any Container
By Cordinates N54.33,549 W 006.46,518
Radius 60 Miles .

On PQ1 -
Use dates
1 Jan 2000 - 1 November 2009 - 943 caches

On PQ2 -
use dates
1 November 2009 - 1 May2011 - 951 caches

On PQ3 -
use dates
1 May 2011 - 31 December 2013 - 701 caches (@18.00 hrs 29/3/2012) this figure will increase as new caches are published .

I haven't run these PQ's and can't guarantee they are 100 % accurate but they SHOULD cover Northern Ireland . You can also play about with the dates to bring them up closer to the 1000 cache limit .