March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

iphone problem

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

miah505

iphone problem

Post by miah505 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 am

I have recently received an e-mail from groundspeak saying that I have denied access from my i-phone. There is a link to contact them but I am loath to do this as it sounds a bit suss. I cannot locate geocaches now from my phone and was wondering what you think has happened and what I should do. I recently added geocaching.com to my husbands new iphone and maybe this has caused a problem. Would be grateful for any help. Thanks

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: iphone problem

Post by klossner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:30 pm

What app were you using to access groundspeak with your iphone?

If you post the contents of the email (with private information elided), we may be able to zero in on the problem.

miah505

Post by miah505 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:17 am

The body of the email is
You've successfully denied authorisation for Geocaching for iphone by Groundspeak, Inc
If you did not take this action,Please contact Groundspeak immediatly
followed by a link.
The app is geocaching.com one and it is working fine on hubbys phone. I have a feeling that they have taken for granted that I have up graded my own phone and stopped the app on it. Rather than using the link I have sent an enquiry directly to Groundspeak and am currently waiting for their reply.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm

That looks like the opposite of what I get when I reload an app that uses the API and register it to access GC.com. I'd say it looks harmless enough.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 pm

I don't have an iphone so I can't do the experiment, but it looks like you clicked the wrong button during software setup. Have a look at the Authorizations page of your profile at http://www.geocaching.com/my/applications.aspx.