March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Reccommend me a new sat nav

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Reccommend me a new sat nav

Post by MunsterFan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am

Hi will be heading to France in May (Auvergne region) and while my trusty Nuvi 610 is fine for Ireland it will be pretty much useless to me while on holiday.

Can anyone recommend me a new unit with European maps, obviously one that can have cache details loaded on it along the lines of the 610 and GSAK.

I will also be bringing other GPSr so this one is really just for in car quick info from a pocket query via GSAK

MF

SaaX
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Re: Reccommend me a new sat nav

Post by SaaX » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Can you not just buy the latest Garmin maps or use OSMs?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 pm

The maps you could get and put on a memory card in your 610 would be the same as those on a brand new garmin. €40 for a download for france and belgium.

Other than that any new unit with European mapping will be substantially dearer and if you got one with full eurpoean mapping you will be paying for updates for all of Europe rather than just UK/Ireland. If you're going to be going over every year then that won't be such a big issue.

Halfords are having a clearance but it's been on for a while so not much left in your area

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/store ... yId_261853

There's one left in stock in Limerick. Description says you get one free map update so you'll have the latest maps. Dont know what the units are like.

This one has 23 months of maps updates.

No idea on map updates with this one and since its a clearance they're likely to be old

dino

Post by dino » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Check out Handtech.co.uk for reconditioned Garmins. Have used them in the past and very reliable.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks everyone. Will check them all out when I get off the couch...

Bagged a FTF today. Not logged yet though :evil: