March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Automotive Sat Nav

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
andymacmyc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Automotive Sat Nav

Post by andymacmyc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 am

Hi

Can anyone recomend a good Sat Nav for the car, I am swaying towards a Garmin Nuvi of some sort but still not sure. I'm looking something I can put caches on so they appear as POI's (is there a geocaching friendly unit that accepts gpx files?). It would be nice to have the ability to set a proximity alarm as well for any caches.

Zalgariath
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Automotive Sat Nav

Post by Zalgariath » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:38 am

I used a TomTom One for my first 1500 finds. If you have GSAK and d/l the TomTom Exporter you can get (near) unlimited caches stored on it, with the real icons, child waypoints, set up proximity warnings for all caches or certain types and have the hints stored just in case ;)

It does not however take GPX so will not replace paper for multi/puzzles. It WILL however be more accurate then a smartphone.

Im not sure about the Nuvi but there is a very good chance they may take full GPX if you look into it. I prefer the TOmTOm maps and layout to Garmins Citymaps though if you are looking primarily for a car GPS that backs up as a caching device.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I've used both Garmin and Tomtom and like the previous poster prefer the Tomtom interface. GSAK does indeed make loading stuff a breeze.

You can pick up 540s on ebay with expanded mapping for reasonable money. Good specification. I have a 940 that I picked up in a new years sale and have no problems with it. (940 has bigger internal memory).

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:15 pm

actually just cracked the screen on my 250w garmin and now need to get my hands on a new unit....fjon had a nice one when we went round the ring of kerry which was funny when it went text to speech of the cache names!

I obviously would lean toward the garmin unit seeing as I have had the nuvi and oregon but would love if everyone gave their five cents on this because I need a new one too!

None of the automotive gpsrs deal with gpx as far as I know but as medic said gsak and/or a google search for garmin and loading caches will show you how easy it is with proximity alerts and even custom icons if needs be.....

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 am

I've used both Garmin and Tomtom for caching, and actually much prefer the Garmin.
There are some things the Tomtom does better, and some things I prefer the Garmin for, but caching wise I think I like Garmin more.
I think the one I have it 765, however if you can stretch to the 3790 it seems like a cool unit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Europe-P ... 114&sr=8-1

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 pm

I use a Nuvi. There is a gask macro which converts the gpx to pois, complete with description, hint, logs and even photos if you want. I load up all of Ireland and settle proximity to 400 metres. it pings as we drive past, with the cache name coming up on screen.

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for all the replys everyone, I am going to look at the weekend and hopefully purchase a new unit. I am still swaying towards a Garmin but I am going to look at Tom Tom as well.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm

andymacmyc wrote:Can anyone recomend a good Sat Nav for the car
I've used my handheld Garmin 60CSx in the car for years, including a lovely week caching between Shannon and Dublin while learning to shift with my left hand. It works so well for me that, now that I have a new car with in-built satnav, I leave it off and use my 60CSx instead. I bought a mount with a suction cup to hold it in place.

An advantage is that it takes GPX files, which I need download only once for a day of caching. Disadvantages are the small screen (but I'm used to it), no voice prompts (but I like that), and other drivers cannot figure it out.

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks again for all the replys, I finally bought a Garmin Nuvi 1340 today, it came with life time map updates and also lifetime traffic subscription. Halfords also had a sale on with 50% off so it seemed a good bargin. Now the fun starts trying to load on some caches. #-o

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 pm

andymacmyc wrote:Thanks again for all the replys, I finally bought a Garmin Nuvi 1340 today, it came with life time map updates and also lifetime traffic subscription. Halfords also had a sale on with 50% off so it seemed a good bargin. Now the fun starts trying to load on some caches. #-o
GSAK ---> Create Filter ---> Garmin Exporter... Done :D

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

andymc just stumbled across this....seeing as you have a new unit you should get free city maps!

http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/cityxplorer

you gotta be quick tho!

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:16 am

Thanks for the heads up, I registered the unit the day I got it and there was a prompt to choose your free map a nice suprise. I choose Edinburgh as we are planning a trip there before the year is out but thanks for letting me know anyway.