March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

GPS Query

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LordSoth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

GPS Query

Post by LordSoth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:42 am

Howdy Peeps

what GPS is the one that 'beeps' when it is in the vicinity of a cache i.e. if you're driving along a road & pass a cache you were unaware of & the GPS beeps because it is within a certain distance of the cache?

MTIA

John 8)

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: GPS Query

Post by CluelessTwo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:06 am

Im guessing most sat-navs have a proximity alert. Our Garmin Nuvi is set to ding within 500m of a cache as we drive. The proximity can be set at whatever distance you like using a GSAK macro.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 am

I use the Nuvi macro too but there's also one for Tom Tom.

Both are obviously dependent on having the caches loaded. Now if there was a SatNav with 3G and a GC app that would be very interesting!
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

LordSoth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by LordSoth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Guys, thanks for the replies...

What model of Nuvi?

And can you please point me in the right direction to find out how to set up the GSAK Macro?

Ta

John

LordSoth

Post by LordSoth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:33 pm

This looks quite promising ...

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

John 8)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 pm

I found that very helpful when I started. :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde