March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

GSAK Forum Post - How FindStatGen Deals With NI

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: GSAK Forum Post - How FindStatGen Deals With NI

Post by SargeNI » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:33 pm

I have been tiding up my database after getting the maps working and found a number of caches without a county. The reason for this would appear to be because a number of old caches in Northern Ireland are classified with their country as United Kingdom and the macro does not recognise these caches as being in Ireland so does not associated a county to them.

I guess if you where to tag all the the United Kingdom caches in Ireland and changed their country to Ireland prior to running the county update they would be picked up OK.

I just manually updated the counties without changing the country and now my six counties register different counts in the Ireland and United Kingdom maps. The United Kingdom map appears to allow the six counties to be in either Ireland or the United Kingdom, hence for me it returns my correct totals.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 am

Wheres the 33rd county?

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm

He forgot to take out NI which was originally counted as one single county. If you download the latest version of the map files he has fixed it.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Hoping that this is an appropriate thread to post this.
I use the CountryStateCountry Overwrite macro in GSAK. recently I noticed one cache which gets missed in the County field GC2TCCV The Banks. I know its in county Londonderry, but can someone else confirm that this cache gets missed by the macro, or maybe its just me. is there any way of the macro being updated to make sure its included for others.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm

It must be right on the line or just outside it that defines County Londonderry or there is an anomaly in that line. The only way to include it would be to rewrite the macro. It may be worthwhile posting a request in the GSAK forum to query the boundaries and hopefully expand them to include it or prevent it happening again in the future.

But saying that, judging by the most recent log on it it may not be such an issue with that particular cache in a couple of weeks time! ;)
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage