March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using PQs"

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

dino

Re: Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using PQs"

Post by dino » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:22 am

LordSoth wrote:Will this include premium caches too?
PQs are a premium feature only so will include all caches (except those which have been archived).

I'm not sure if you need PM access for the iPhone app so can't answer what it will show?

8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

LordSoth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by LordSoth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 pm

dino wrote:PQs are a premium feature
Doh! What a noob question??? LoL

Will run a few PQs & post here what I discover!

Ta

John 8)

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Frezeluberz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:30 pm

No idea how many caches are in Northern Ireland specifically, sorry.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:18 pm

LordSoth wrote:P.S. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for the number of active caches in Northern Ireland at the moment? (just so I can see if my queries all add up to roundabout that number)

Ta

John 8)
Yes - last time I checked there were around 1300 in NI, and 1700 in ROI.

johnrm

Re: Problem with "How To - Get Every Cache In Ireland using

Post by johnrm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Guys'n'Gals,

Fjon kindly brought to my attention that there was an issues with the PQs I had posted.
The criteria I am using are pretty simple...
Any active (unarchived) cache, Centred on N53 34.000 W009 33.000 with 300km radius...
PQ1 = 01-Jan-2000 up to date1 once the total caches is < 1000
PQ2 = date1 up to date2 once the Total caches is < 1000
PQ3 = date2 up to date3 once the Total caches is < 1000
PQ4 = date3 up to 'Last allowable date' once the Total caches is < 1000

As of today, the PQs are at were at 948, 973, 897, 834

On inspection, the last PQ, AIPQ4 had an end date of 31-Dec-2010, which was as much as was possible at the time.
I have now updated the date to 31-Dec-2012, so this will not need attention for another 23 months.
HOWEVER, you people are putting out way too many caches and so a 5th PQ will be required at some point to accomodate your addiction.

feckers.

John

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi John ,
I've been using your formulas very successfully, the the last few months , but I did notice last week the last one had 1000 caches in it. I was waiting for someone else to remark on this & tell me how to fix it :wink:

What I had was:
Q1 Up to Feb 14 2008: 925
Q2 Feb 15 2008 to Apr 28 2009 :901
Q3 Apr 29 2009 - Mar 31 2010 : 812
Q4 April 1 2010 on : 1000

As you know I am not very technical, but I guess I copied these dates etc. from here before , I didn't want to go messing with them.

:D
I did think aoubt trying to adapt them but wouldn't you have to run the PQ to see how many caches are in the new dates etc?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm

Eileen you may be getting TD caches? I'm assuming John's PQs return active only caches?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Eileen, Niall,
TD = Terrain/Difficulty?
This is unspecified in my PQ.
I'll have a closer look this evening.
John

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm

johnrm wrote:Any active (unarchived) cache
"Active" doesn't mean "unarchived," it means "not temporarily disabled" (TD). The number of such caches will rise and fall as caches are disabled and reenabled. To be sure that your PQ won't ever exceed 1000, remove this condition and check the count. And even so, you should leave room for a dozen or two additional caches against the chance that some old archived caches are exhumed.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Funny i was just thinking about this the other day...what may be helpful if you haven't done it already is generate a separate pq for non traditional caches i.e. multis, webcams earths etc....

actually slightly off topic and i may have asked this before...i recall trying to set up a pq for all event caches in ireland because i was forgetting to check the weekly newsletter and it only returned caches within an 80km radius...whats the max radius for pqs?

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:35 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:Funny i was just thinking about this the other day...what may be helpful if you haven't done it already is generate a separate pq for non traditional caches i.e. multis, webcams earths etc....

actually slightly off topic and i may have asked this before...i recall trying to set up a pq for all event caches in ireland because i was forgetting to check the weekly newsletter and it only returned caches within an 80km radius...whats the max radius for pqs?
Set Cache type to 'Event' 'CITO' etc..
Set country to 'Ireland', and distance to 10,000km

Voila !

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:39 pm

legend

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm

That's great - I ticked the "is Active" box - and got them down to:
908 / 884 / 802 & 985
But then I did it again ticking "that I haven't found" & "that I don't own " and got them down to:
699 / 756 / 686 / & 890
That should keep me going ok.

Now if I could only figure out how to get them all on the gps :(
Thanks guys

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Spark_ie wrote:distance to 10,000km
so no distance limit then?

cheers mark

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:
Spark_ie wrote:distance to 10,000km
so no distance limit then?

cheers mark

If you put in a small distance, it will give events in Ireland within that small distance... So set it to a massive amount, and it will only give irish events (incl Northern irish)

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 am

If you are using the 1000 cache limit PQ's then it looks like 4PQ's will not cover Ireland any more .
I'm finding that January 20 th 2011 is the cutoff for PQ4 (982 caches).
Just incase your wondering why your not getting new caches in your PQ's :wink:
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 pm

My PQ4 has reached 995. The dates set are April 1st 2010 to Dec 31st 2011.
Is it time for a 5th PQ now?

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:17 pm

CluelessTwo wrote:My PQ4 has reached 995. The dates set are April 1st 2010 to Dec 31st 2011.
Is it time for a 5th PQ now?
Nope! Time to find more caches!! :twisted:
Up is good!!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 am

TBH I'm completely confused about these PQs.

I have rejigged to the following...
PQ1 01Jan2000 to 21Mar2008 - 991
PQ2 22Mar2008 to 01Jul2009 - 995
PQ3 02Jul2009 to 04Jun2010 - 981
PQ4 05Jun2010 to 31Dec2012 - 706
Thats 3673 in total.

Could someone confirm my numbers?