March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Phones

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Phones

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my phone I am using a SonyEricsson W300I which I have had for many years. I am trying to get a phone which I can access the GC.com website and when I am caching I make a HTML file on GSAK which I transfer to my phone I am limited to 220 caches in the file if I get too many caches I get the message page is too big to be displayed.
I am looking for a cheap phone which I can use my current O2 pay and go sim card.

How can I tell which phones will be able to access the site and allow me to have a HTML file with more caches?

Thanks

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Phones

Post by Hezekiah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:15 pm

I've found that iPhone with Geocaching app (amongst others!) invaluable - it's led to a few FTF's while out "in the field".

It's good for calls, too!
Up is good!!

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Definatly wouldn't come under the cheap criteria though. If you were using pay and go you'd be looking to shell out about £500. The app is pretty good though but it has it's limitations

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:35 pm

I would love an iPhone but they cost £450 on pay and go or you need a £30 contract which at this time I do not want to pay as I am saving for a car.

I just need a phone which is a little better with the internet. I now get free internet if I top up £15/month so I want to use this more.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:00 pm

You could do a lot worse than a Blackberry. I have a Blackberry Pearl that will run Cacheberry and also connect to the internet that I was planning to eBay. PM or FB me if you're interested in borrowing it to try it out. I also have a heap of accessories to sell with it including an Otterbox for those less than perfect weather days - you gotta be prepared for rain now that Summer's on the way ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

OTP

Post by OTP » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:55 pm

What about an Android phone like the HTC Hero? Applications for geocaching can be downloaded, I think Geo Beagle handles gpx files and c:geo is good for moblie internet.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Lawrence on you free web does that work with smart phones? I know over here (which is totally crap for mobile phones) the free stuff I can have is not included with my BB storm.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm not sure about that. I'm on O2 pay and go and if I top up £15 a month I get unlimited internet. I don't mind if its slow as long as it works.
I do not want getting a new phone to cost me any more to run.

Does anyone have a Blackberry on pay and go?

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 pm

I have used Windows mobile phones since 2005. I found a superb app called GCzII for geocaching, which is free and does the same as the iPhone app, and more. You can average waypoints and convert cache lists into gpx files, poi files and ozi explorer. You can log your finds in field notes etc. It has the ability to just "search from my current location" so its perfect for "spontaneous" caching in an area you didnt have any plan for. It links straight to the GC.com cache page if you need to, but all the info is on screen of the app. The other good thing about it is it has a button, which takes you straight to google maps, which can be downloaded before you leave the house.

My HTC Diamond, is connected to my WiFi at home, where I can search and download all the caches, and google map pages I need at home FOR FREE before I head out, so I don't need any internet access when out on the trail.

Oh and the App is FREE too.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Sorry for going off topic here... but GONE are the days of printing off pages and pages of caches, that you have to plan out far in advance.. To go to the general location to follow a (if you lucky) colored arrow on the screen.... Ah..... 8)

dodgerm

Post by dodgerm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 am

On the subject of using Phones, Pocket Pcs, etc watch out for a problem called STATIC NAVIGATION with phones that use the new Sirf GPSr chip. This is so sensitive that due to residual noise it doesn't show the GPSr as totally stopped. The manufacturers put in a block at about 2-3 mph so that a Sat Nav program will assume your car is stopped. This of course is totally usless for Geocaching as the GPSr doesn't respond properly until you exceed the speed block limit :(

I have a HTC HD2 running Cachemate. To get this to work properly at caching speeds, I downloaded a program call SirfTech (http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100031/SirfTech.htm) that has an option to unset Static Navigation. Works a treat now :lol:

So if you have a pocket PC or smartphone with a builtin GPSr that is erratic at caching speeds, have a look at the above issue.