March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Oregon wont update

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Oregon wont update

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 pm

I was driving about this evening and had my Oregon 400t running just so I could see the map accuracy. I noticed that the maps seem very out of date in comparison to the maps on my Nuvi 250, so I plugged it into garmins website and it said the maps were up to date. This is annoying as the maps show the old roundabout at Purdysburn road, even though the roundabout was changed to traffic lights about 4 years ago.

Aside from that, there was a firmware update to be downloaded, despite doing this update 3 weeks ago when we got the device. I went through the installation instructions, saw the device installing the upgrade, and restarted the device, plugged it in to check it had installed, but the site is still saying that the firmware is out of date.

Ive tried a few times to install it and its still says its out of date.

Any thoughts on these issues, or anyone else having problems?

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Oregon wont update

Post by wildfowler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:06 am

Are you using Webupdater?

Standard installed maps on the 550t aren't too bad, some roads aren't on there but I expected that. Garmin won't update the maps every time a new road is built especially on the base maps. They should update them at some point I guess tho!
My Nuvi 310i is the same but that is probably because I have City Navigator 2008 on it still. Was reluctant to give Garmin the money until I was certain the new road to Dublin was on it! Might be waiting a while for that. Although I now see they do maps for life for a reasonable sum. So could be tempted! Also have the same City Nav maps on the Oregon for running in Automotive profile. Full address and postcode searchability too just like the Nuvi!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Re: Oregon wont update

Post by CluelessTwo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm

I used the webupdater initially, and went on to the MyGarmin dashboard. It was the dashboard that said the software was out of date. I know the issue with map updates, and that every single new or amended road wont be updated. My nuvi has had a european map update available every year since we got it in 2007. Is the fact that the map hasn't been updated for 4 or so years due to the fact that its a worldwide basemap, and the sheer amount of data that would require?

Its not so much of a problem on the Oregon, as we need the nuvi to be accurate for roads, the Oregon is for the off road parts anyway.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable