March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Covering the Entire Island

Got a problem you can't solve? If it's your PC, GPS or iPOD, post it here and we'll help out if we can

Moderator: GCI Admins

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Covering the Entire Island

Post by Fjon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Ugh, I give up. 6 PQs is just too much for me.
I'm just going to keep running the 5 I have, but only for caches I haven't found yet. It should take a bit of time before that number reaches 2500 hopefully!

MadraRua
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MadraRua » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:25 pm

I think some reviewer should have put a cap on the new caches before we ended up in this awful situation!!! :mrgreen:

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:21 pm

You'll just have to resort to the careful preparation and Red-blooded American cacher must do before departing on a caching expedition!

Try covering the entire island in the US!

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:17 am

Nice one :D 53 already on the new PQ!

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:27 pm

Hmm, I only recieved 1 of 3 pqs yesterday. I have them set up to recieve 3 each day so I get all 6 every 2 days. I only recieved pq2 yesterday. Did anyone else notice a problem yesterday?

DiamondDuo
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by DiamondDuo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Did the PQs run - Whats the "Last Generated (PST)" time?

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:41 pm

The only one I recieved ran at 9/20/2009 9:04:04 AM (17.04 our time)

I changed it so I get the other 5 today and so far Ive only just recieved 1 ( just came in as I typed this)

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:01 pm

I set them up last week based on the sticky locked thread.
I have received all six pqs, one yesterday and five today.

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Got the other 5 tonight. will hopefully be back to normal tomorrow.

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:11 am

I heard through Gsak and Groundspeak forums that as of May GS are going to increase the maximum number of caches for a PQ to 1000, instead of the present 500.

Surely this is good news snd will allow us to use PQs for other things too now.

I think I'll leave it up to the experts though, to set up our PQs for all Ireland.

dino

Post by dino » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:53 am

There was a thread here shortly after the announcement was made: http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... =10&t=2753

PS. I've fixed your signature to show the GC.com image. The code wasn't working ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:24 am

Has PQ6 hit the limit? GSAK is showing it now contains 500 caches?

dino

Post by dino » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Looks like it. Must have just happened since yesterday. I'll check the dates tonight and tweak them until the new 1000 PQ comes along

dino

Post by dino » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Tweaking all the dates to keep things within 6 PQs is a lot of hassle that will need to be repeated (hopefully) in a few weeks. If you exclude found caches and/or temporarily disabled ones then you won't need an extra PQ for a while.

However, if you want to set up a 7th PQ the details will be in the other thread shortly.

http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... =10&t=1695

Once the 1K PQ comes along I'll redo the dates from scratch.

8)

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Thu May 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Since we now have the 1000 limit, I was thinking that we would be able to reduce our PQs to 3 instead of increase to 7.

dino

Post by dino » Fri May 21, 2010 4:37 am