March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Geocaching fatality?

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Geocaching fatality?

Post by Tmsr » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:52 am

While there have been a number of deaths of geocachers in the field internationally, it seems there may have been a tragic incident more locally of late.
We are not sure if others may be more aware of details in this instance, but we are saddened to recently hear from acquaintances that a man living in the Galway area, who was married with a young child may have died of head injuries sustained in a fall on rocks near a cache in the coastal Dublin area
We have been told that the accident occurred while the man was Involved " in a treasure hunt from the internet " and that he was found at the scene by a friend of his who is a member of An Garda Siochana and who was aware of his hobby. It seems he was in a critical condition following a fall and passed away about a month ago
Sorry to hear of this awful news...perhaps it should act as a timely reminder to all of us to take care at all times and avoid unnecessary risk taking, especially if you are alone...

dino

Re: Geocaching fatality?

Post by dino » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Oh no! Any idea who it was or which cache it was?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:40 am

Sorry I can't say for certain as the information came from a coupke of muggle acquaintances who wouldn't be sure. As they weren't from Dublin, there was conflicting reports that it happened around Ringsend, South Wall or even Dun Laoghaire area.. The poor young widow is in the same line of work as M but she only knows her first name. We will try to get more details if possible....

CraigsBar
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m

Post by CraigsBar » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:34 pm

:(
Using Tapatalk

sgtzara
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by sgtzara » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:15 pm

:-( oh dear, not good news at all

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:55 am

That is bad news, regardless if he was caching or not.
I had a visitor to a cache in Kilkenny a few years who fell and broke her leg.
She had just started a six week holiday from the US.

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:06 am

It wasn't Geocaching but Google Ingress (augmented reality type game). The accident happened at Poolbeg lighthouse back in September.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks Donnacha,
I'd not spotted you posted this and have sourced the details now from a friend of M's . Hadn't heard of Ingress but apparently Frank was alone with his scanner at the location and his body was found by a detective who also plays the game.
There appears to be two factions in Ireland playing the game (Google group called Ingress Ireland) The family appealed at the funeral for greater safety awareness including requesting that 'agents' keep location services turned on in the field.
Sadly he left behind a wife and a young lad,
RIP

dino

Post by dino » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:50 am

That's very sad :(
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Thu May 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Details of inquest from Irish Times

Man died during augmented reality game, inquest hears (via @IrishTimes) http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.2645636

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Thu May 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Very sad news
Thoughts are with his wife and son