March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Alan Shiel (Hezekiah)

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Alan Shiel (Hezekiah)

Post by donnacha » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:42 am

Hi all.

Alan Shiel (Hezekiah) sadly passed away on Sunday after a long battle with cancer.

Alan's funeral is tomorrow at 11.30am at the Dundrum Methodist Church.

Further details can be found below.

http://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=239226/Alan ... rum/Dublin

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Alan Shiel (Hezekiah)

Post by Serapis » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam,

A gentleman and one of Ireland's Geocaching greats.

Brendan

dino

Post by dino » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:35 pm

As a mark of respect Graham and myself will be having our own version of a minute's silence for Alan Shiel (Hezekiah) tomorrow. For 24hrs we won't publish any new caches. Maybe folks could take some time to find one of Alan's caches instead and thank him for his contribution to the Irish caching community. RIP Alan.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:44 pm

Highly appropriate Niall,
RIP Alan.

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 pm

A thoughtful fitting gesture by our reviewers.

And I'm pleased to have found a Hezekiah cache on Sunday - serendipitous coincidence - and have just left my thoughts for Alan and his family on St. Kevin's Dental Work. http://coord.info/GCNH80

I shall miss Alan - a true gentleman and great geocacher.
Image Image

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:10 am

Happy Trails, Hezekiah
*What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly* ~ Richard Bach
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 am

I can't claim to have known him, having met him only briefly at his Easter Eggstravaganza events in Marley Park, but I feel sad at his passing. He is someone who gave a lot to others, his time, his ingenuity, his kindness, and our loosely coupled community is reduced by his passing.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Happy trails, Alan.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:03 pm

Lovely ceremony this morning where he was very fondly remembered. It was great to see the geocaching community so well represented there along with people from so many different communities and associations that he blessed with his talents.
Bon voyage Hezekiah

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Just looking at finding a Hezekiah cache might be a big job for me...
100 caches..-91 found = 9 left
Out of the 9 there are 6 archived which most are events = 3 left
Those 3 are...2 on Rathlin Island and 1 on Inishturk Island...
Doubt will make it today...
Hope Judes event on Rathlin goes ahead in early spring...will grab one of them then,hopefully

Had a quick look at my stats and it was three of hezekiah`s caches that i started with..No GPS..just local knowledge...Got GPS a few months later and have not stopped since...

Lovely homely service this morning,,a fitting farewell to a great man..Great to meet up with some of the past cachers as well..

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:32 pm

Lovely service this morning - I was there with Toffee Man & Navajo, really nice to see so many geocachers there. The family were touched.

I mentioned to Alan's wife about doing the Easter Eggtravanga in his honour next year and she said he would be thrilled if we did. I also said not sure I have the same hotline to order in the glorious weather that Alan always produced on the day.

We couldn't reach an un-found Hezekiah cache today so we went and replaced a missing one for him. (I for injection)

A gentleman and one of the geocaching founding members in Ireland - he lead the way that many of us are following.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:02 pm

I can only mirror what has already been said - a lovely service that gave a much wider picture of the man we knew mainly in one respect. I am particularly pleased that the Easter Eggstravaganza will take place again.

And also it was a pleasure to meet Kili or bust and Windsocker in person - albeit on a sad occasion.

As I was leaving, I overheard a grey-haired lady speaking to a Pastor reminiscing that she had been "walking in the hills with Alan, and he was doing his geo-finding thingy". The Pastor responded "Ah, yes with that gadget he was so proud of..." - it brought a smile to my face! 8)
Image Image

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Fair play to him...lousy weather today but as we went to search for Ravens Rock after the service, blue skies appeared for the duration of our hike and we made a quick find helped by the new man above...
Inspired by the Alphabet Series to begin with and advised on our first placements, we were guided today throughout our time in his beloved mountains - even finding our dropped GPSr on the way back.

He obviously has an affinity with Garmin Colorados as Abbeyackbar's mishap with hers today was redeemed while still at the Church hall!

Farewell over that far horizon...

johnrm
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by johnrm » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:12 pm

I have not been on here in quite some time, but spotted this today.
Very sad to hear of Alans passing.
He was a true gent, always willing to offer advice and support when needed.