March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Dalkey Island

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Team Vorst
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Dalkey Island

Post by Team Vorst » Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 am

Hey folks,

last week I spotted this nice island and I really want to go over there. I did some 'research' and it turned out that there has been a guy offering a 'ferry service'. But he seems to be gone. On Saturday I was at Bullock harbour. You can rent boats there but you are not allowed to land at Dalkey. The other harbour is Coliemore. I haven't been there yet.

Does anybody know more on this topic?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Dalkey Island

Post by Fjon » Tue May 15, 2012 11:53 am

Years ago when I went it was from Coliemore. It's a lot closer than Bullock - only a few mins across. However I think the guy there was fairly expensive. It's a nice island and worth exploring but expect to pay a bit to get there.
I can't remember his name unfortunately, but we had to ring him in advance to book the trip. You can't just show up and get the boat over.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue May 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Can you not just kayak over from the nearest pier??
That's what I had planned anyway

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Yes you can do that too!

Team Vorst
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Team Vorst » Tue May 15, 2012 3:59 pm

No kayak, no kayak experience, no Dalkey Island :)

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue May 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Team Vorst wrote:No kayak, no kayak experience, no Dalkey Island :)

How are your swimming skills ?? :twisted: :twisted:

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue May 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Looked through my old email, and this is the guy's phone number who took us across:

085 764 3304

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue May 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Actually just read up on it and it looks like the guy who's number I gave you died recently.
Also you can rent boats from Bullock but you're not allowed take them to Dalkey Island. Looks like your means of getting to the island are somewhat limited!
The cache may now be as inaccessible as the various island caches around Rush and Skerries unfortunately.
Mark - how confident are on your kayak? I know Dalkey Island, Casana Rock and Ireland's Eye should all be doable, but would you attempt these ones?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 29a5132960
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ffe88371ca

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue May 15, 2012 7:22 pm

The Carraig Da Bheola one - yeah contemplated this more than once! Bouyed on by the fact Dara and the lads met a bunch of kayakers out there when they did it. A mixture of waiting for good calm weather, and probably more important - being slightly anxious about going out on my own, and not being able to talk some of my mates into coming with me!

Paddy's Goat - Well, haven't worked out any coords for that fellow, so maybe yet !

With regard to Dalkey though - you should be fine on kayaking out there.. Only just off the coast, and there's no (residential) buildings on the island. If someone was ever to pull you up on it, just say you didn't know it was off limits with an apologetic "Sorry"..

Team Vorst
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Team Vorst » Sun May 20, 2012 3:41 pm

I was at Coliemore harbour today. This place is very lost, but I saw a group of kayaks just landing at Dalkey Island.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 am

If anyone was interested in going over in the next few weeks let me know. I can put you in touch with someone who makes trips over.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Guys, listen, you probably know this but do not be tempted to try to swim across Dalkey Sound. It's only about 300 metres but it's very dangerous due to the tidal currents (IIRC 2 or 3 knots north-south when the tide is falling, and the same in the opposite direction when it's rising).

Something you probably should take into account when kayaking also but I don't know much about that.