March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Bio mass boiler

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Bio mass boiler

Post by golaman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:58 am

I am contemplating installing a wood pellet central heating boiler. I would like to hear any views regarding this idea. Has anyone else researched the idea and run with it or on the other hand researched and not run with it.
Any info positive or otherwise appreciated.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Bio mass boiler

Post by beefy4605 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 pm

How many choices of suppliers of pellets do you have ? I was under the impression there was only one supplier which isn't a great position to be in if they decide to up the price.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Yes one of my concerns. The only supplier here is 'Brites' which is based here in Enniskillen. They use waste from the Balcas plant. They also produce on a larger scale in Scotland. Prices vary from £145 per ton collected to £166 delivered. I have been told that a ton equates with 900 litres of oil which at present is £540. It is my intention to call with them this week and investigate further. Surprised there has not been more info on this. Keep it coming folks.

dino

Post by dino » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Your demographic here is wrong! Too many youngsters or non-homeowners and not enough radical Greens! Think you need a different forum ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Obviously not wanting to insult your inteligence - but you have looked into Gasification boilers ? Some of these will run for 12 hours on one fill of wood and have a back boiler that can be used to heat radiators through the house.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burn ... ilers.html
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm

~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

SaaX
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SaaX » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:09 am

I saw a German pellet truck on the Galway roads this morning - is it really possible that it's cheaper to bring the stuff over from Germany? I am shocked. Anyway, you might want to give them a shout to find out the resellers of their stuff: http://www.binderholz.com/en/products/d ... fuels.html

Cheers,
Axel

SaaX
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SaaX » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 am

Btw: if you are interested I could give them a shout to find out - their german might be better than their english ;-)

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Rapidly going off this idea!! I have spoken to a dealer and the initial outlay would be big bucks. No guarantee that the pellets are not going to soar in price due to incoming/existing restrictions on harvesting. Same applies to gasification regarding sourcing adequate timber which to burn should be seasoned for at least 2 years.
Have spoken to a plumber with the local education board and he tells me that three schools here have installed pellet systems and are not happy with the result.
Thanks for the info and your advice Dino. I wouldn't call myself radical green but concerned more about the pounds in my wallet!! Cheers all.