March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Dogs on the Mountain

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Dogs on the Mountain

Post by Daithi2004 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:59 pm

I know some geocachers like to take their dog with them while out geocaching. I know they are responsible people when on the mountains and that they keep their dogs on their leads. Unfortunately a few don’t and have harmed sheep on the Cooley Mountains. I am involved in the UFRC (Ulster Rederation of Rambling Clubs) which is a governing body for rambling and hillwalking clubs in the North of Ireland. We educate and advise hillwalkers not to bring their dogs out on their club walks. Mountaineering Ireland (MI) is an equivalent organisation which covers the whole island. A rep from MI and reps from the local walking clubs and myself met these farmers. They expressed in very strong terms their anger at some dog walkers who have let their dogs of the lead and let them run wild after sheep. This is the lambing season and sheep get worried at the very sight of dogs. A few sheep have been killed because of this. They have asked all walkers not to take their dogs on the hills. I support this because while geocachers, hillwalkers, Dog walkers uses the mountain for recreational use, the farmer uses it as his workplace. This is a big issue in the Cooley area. I am asking you as geocachers and hillwalkers to respect the farmers wishes as there are concerned for their livestock. David

The Casual Geocacher

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Dogs on the Mountain

Post by daraconn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:50 am

While I respect the concerns of the farmers (and the sheep), the proposed solution "no dogs in the hills, at all, ever" is too extreme. I don't know what it's like in the Cooleys, but there are large areas of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains where you are miles from the nearest sheep. With responsible behaviour and a proper standard of care, I believe the mountains are a resource that can be shared without endangering farmers' livelihood or causing harm to sheep or other animals.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 pm

I agree with you, Daraconn. Unfortunately the Cooleys are a small range of mountains and sheep are everywhere. Most dog walkers do keep their dogs on lead especially when there are sheep around. There are a small number who don't. These people need to understand and also these dog walkers ruin it for those who do have their dogs on theirs lead and also spoiling it for hillwalkers and Geocachers. Hopefully it will be soon resolved. There have been articles in the local paper about it.

The Casual Geocacher

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 am

Daithi2004 wrote:There have been articles in the local paper about it.
There was a piece in MI's Irish Mountain Log about it also a couple weeks back. All MI members got invited to a meeting to discuss the issue.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Found it:

http://www.mountaineering.ie/news/viewd ... asp?ID=551
The hillwalking and cycling clubs that attended the meeting, from counties Louth, Down, Monaghan, Meath and Armagh, supported the farmers’ request for dogs and motorised bikes not to be taken onto the hills at any time of the year.
A very worrying precedent.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Why not just do what I did and train your dogs properly so that they wouldn't chase or worry livestock? It's not difficult! #-o
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:39 pm

the farmers’ request for dogs and motorised bikes not to be taken onto the hills at any time of the year.
I don't see any mention of an exception for well-trained dogs (or well-trained motorbikes!)

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm

I know what you mean! It's just annoying that the minority spoil it for the majority once again by letting their dogs chase livestock!

It's not hard to keep your dog under control!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:29 pm

wildfowler wrote:I know what you mean! It's just annoying that the minority spoil it for the majority once again by letting their dogs chase livestock!

It's not hard to keep your dog under control!
I agree with you, Wildfowler. It is alway the minority that spoil it for the rest of us. That applies to us, non dog owners. Hillwalkers and possibly Geocachers get the blame. I was at the meeting which I previously mentioned at the start of this thread and the farmers are very angry about this issue. It was in the Argus, a local Dundalk paper, and it is also on The UFRC Website and MI website.

The Casual Geocacher

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Title: Horse LOL

Post by Yer_Man » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:53 am

Eh, I notice that this topic is three years old, BUT...

I do know that it is a farmer's right to shoot any dog that endangers his sheep! You will find a notice to this effect on the gates of many farm fields.

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:58 pm

~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~