March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Travel to Dublin

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Travel to Dublin

Post by golaman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Tapping on local knowledge here in an effort to save a few Euros in these hard times!
A few times in the year I and some friends have occasion to spend the day in Dublin. We are to be in the city centre from approx 1100am till 5pm.

We have always driven down by car from Enniskillen via the M1 or the N3 and parked in Dawson St CP. This has become quite expensive i.e. tolls and car-parks etc.
I have been looking at the alternative of parking outside town and using the DART/Rail.
Looking at the DART route map I have the choice of stations from Howth to Raheny before the idea loses merit.

A few questions:
Is this a good idea? Will it prove a cheaper option?
Is Howth the most appropriate station? If not, which is, from the M1?
Is there a car park at Howth DART station and is it free.
Is it a large car park? Would it be hard to get a space?
Is Tara St the most convenient station for city centre.
If anyone has better suggestions I will be delighted to hear them.

Bus from home doesn't appeal to me as we like the luxury of comfort stops/watering holes if required.

dino

Re: Travel to Dublin

Post by dino » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm

We went to Wicklow for a long weekend with the kids last year and decided on the way back to get the DART from Howth into town and back as a treat for them as they hadn't ever been on a train before. I was surprised just how cheap this turned out to be but for the life of me I can't remember what it cost.

The car park at Howth services the harbour so it's quite big and I'm pretty sure it wasn't chargeable. I know we didn't apy and we didn't get a ticket :lol:

One other option I discovered today is to park at Dundrum, or one of the other out of town retail parks which will be free, and get the LUAS into town. We were in Dundrum today from 1-6 and it only cost €6 which is a lot cheaper than I expected and also a lot cheaper than in town. If Blanchardstown is serviced by the LUAS then you would also save the M5 toll.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:26 pm

Cheers Niall. The LUAS only runs south side. I don't think there is anything from B/town.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:47 pm

No Luas out my way (Blanchardstown ) - maybe M1 to M50 to Red Cow park & ride - but I'm pretty sure that's a pay car park & you'd have the M50 toll too.
I think you're on the right track with travelling in by the M1 & the dart - I know our local one is pay - Irish rail to city (Coolmine or Castleknock to Connolly) - I think it's only €2 per day - but afraid I can't help you re the dart ones (I suspect most of them are pay) on the north side but I'm sure some-one on here can :)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:52 pm

Actually reading that again - maybe you should check out the trains from the Blanch area or the big new park & ride on the new M3? the train line has been extended to Dunboyne , with a huge (1200 spaces) car parking area :
http://www.irishrail.ie/upload/dunboyne.pdf
Parking free at the moment .

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 am

golaman wrote:Tapping on local knowledge here in an effort to save a few Euros in these hard times!
A few times in the year I and some friends have occasion to spend the day in Dublin. We are to be in the city centre from approx 1100am till 5pm.

We have always driven down by car from Enniskillen via the M1 or the N3 and parked in Dawson St CP. This has become quite expensive i.e. tolls and car-parks etc.
I have been looking at the alternative of parking outside town and using the DART/Rail.
Looking at the DART route map I have the choice of stations from Howth to Raheny before the idea loses merit.

A few questions:
Is this a good idea? Will it prove a cheaper option?
Is Howth the most appropriate station? If not, which is, from the M1?
Is there a car park at Howth DART station and is it free.
Is it a large car park? Would it be hard to get a space?
Is Tara St the most convenient station for city centre.
If anyone has better suggestions I will be delighted to hear them.

Bus from home doesn't appeal to me as we like the luxury of comfort stops/watering holes if required.
From the M1, Raheny is the best option to get the Dart to the city centre. (M1 onto Coolock lane, continues into Oscar Traynor Rd., straight across to Tonlegee Rd, then right onto Springdale Rd. which brings you straight into Raheny). You can park in the Church carpark (N53 22.849, W006 10.632) for €4 all day (free on Sundays), or, you can park on Springdale Road (N53 22.969, W006 10.662) around the corner from the train station for free, loads of people going to work in town everyday park their car there all day and get the Dart into town.
Adult 1 day return ticket from Raheny to the city centre (Connolly, Tara, Pearse) €3.60

Although Raheny is handy to get the Dart into town, Howth is a lovely place to visit, if you wanted to spend time there aswell as town. There is a huge carpark that surrounds the harbour in Howth beside the train station, and it's all free. You would have no problem getting a space even on a Sunday when Howth is at its' busiest.
Adult 1 day return ticket from Howth to the city centre (Connolly, Tara, Pearse) €4.20

You can check the areas out using Google Streetview :D That's what we do now sometimes when we're investigating new places we're visiting. It's handy.

Re: the most convenient station for city centre.
Tara St. is ideal for the city centre and closest to O'Connell St.
Pearse St. station (the next stop after Tara is also good) It's closer to St.Stephen's Green (Dawson St., were you used to park is adjacent to this). There's not much distance between the two stations anyway.

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Very many thanks for all contributions. I hope to experiment with the Raheny option so thanks for the very detailed help.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:03 pm

golaman wrote:Very many thanks for all contributions. I hope to experiment with the Raheny option so thanks for the very detailed help.
If you do go to Raheny, Define Geocaching should be on your to do list (plug, plug, plug :D )
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ff416e99b9

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:01 pm

If you do go to Raheny, Define Geocaching should be on your to do list (plug, plug, plug :D )
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ff416e99b9[/quote]And a very nice cache it is too [quote="abbeyackbar"]

And a very nice cache it is too :D

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks! :D

golaman
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by golaman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Was in Dublin yesterday and did the Raheny route. First rate. Great parking for free. Short wait for the DART and short walk from Pearse St. Biggest bonus was the hassle free exit from city centre - no traffic jams! Great job all round. Thanks Abbeyackbar for all the info.

No caching done on this trip but will be back. Again many thanks.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Glad it worked out alright for you