March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Competitions

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Competitions

Post by wildfowler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 am

johnrm wrote:Did any Norn lads enter the Garmin/Merrell Competition yet?
Working on it! :wink:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Re:FM104 comp.
I said Dollymount beach on North Bull Island.
It was the kite surfing that came to mind for me too. The Kite Magic shop is close by and they do all their lessons there and you need alot of muscle to control those kites! Some of the clues I heard today were tough.
Last edited by abbeyackbar on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

medic143 wrote:
abbeyackbar wrote:I've qualified for a different car competition to the Lidl/2fm one. I'm in the final for fm104's Toyota IQ competition. They give out clues to a location (or landmark) in Dublin and you have to phone in when they say. They take 3 callers each hour (during the Strawberry Alarm Clock show and The Jam show) and if someone doesn't guess the right answer they give out an extra clue for the next hour.

The clue I heard was 'You can fly your kite here, but you'd need good muscles'. Anyone want to take a guess at the right answer?

http://www.fm104.ie/utilities/content_page.aspx?id=2570

The final is on the 24th Sept in FM104. Should be fun :)

Abbey (of AbbeyAckbar)
Freakycat made it to the radio twice this week on the original Lidl car comp and got beaten on both ocassions :twisted:
That sucks. It's tough enough getting through! So well done for managing that :)
I think I might have heard her, Wednesday I think. I was driving and I just caught her name and thought hey maybe that's Freakycat : ) The person I heard anyway picked an amount and the guy picked the same amount plus 1cent more! And that made him closest to the actual amount? I thought to myself it's harder on the person who has to pick the number first as the other person just has to guess higher or lower like he did.

There's still a week to go so keep trying! :D

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:35 am

abbeyackbar wrote: That sucks. It's tough enough getting through! So well done for managing that :)
I think I might have heard her, Wednesday I think. I was driving and I just caught her name and thought hey maybe that's Freakycat : ) The person I heard anyway picked an amount and the guy picked the same amount plus 1cent more! And that made him closest to the actual amount? I thought to myself it's harder on the person who has to pick the number first as the other person just has to guess higher or lower like he did.

There's still a week to go so keep trying! :D
That was Freakycat. She had the chance the day before to do the one cent trick as she knew (correctly) the other person had completely over cooked it but made an honest guess and went too low. She wont make that mistake again.

Good luck next week, Wont be around to listen - will be hovering up boxes in the UK.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:32 pm

wildfowler wrote:
johnrm wrote:Did any Norn lads enter the Garmin/Merrell Competition yet?
Working on it! :wink:
Entered it today after my weekend extravaganza :D :D :D

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Was that with Norn Iron caches only?

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:17 pm

johnrm wrote:Was that with Norn Iron caches only?
No, it didnt recognise any of my NI caches at all :( :( , its logged with ones from London.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 pm

FYI, I just got a reply from GroundSpeak.
NI caches ARE valid for this competition.

-----------------------
Hi John,

Yes, the caches in Northern Ireland count.

Best Regards,

Jessica

-----------------------

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm

johnrm wrote:FYI, I just got a reply from GroundSpeak.
NI caches ARE valid for this competition.

-----------------------
Hi John,

Yes, the caches in Northern Ireland count.

Best Regards,

Jessica

-----------------------
But they don't seem to get accepted by the website for the competition unless they are listed as "United Kingdom" - I have found one up here so far that is showing on my profile for the competition but I have found over 30 within the qualifying period that are listed as "Ireland" so don't count.

No matter, I'm off to Glasgow for a training course in a week or so - PQ already loaded into GSAK to get a few easy UK caches! ;)

LordSoth

Post by LordSoth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Niall out of the picture in Glasgow for a week!!!

Ladies & Gentlemen (and all in search of FTF's!) START YOUR ENGINES!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P

John 8)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Re:fm104 car finale
no joy today. The finale took place in FM104. There was 26 qualifiers there and there was no more qualifying rounds. We all picked a raffle ticket when we signed in. The number we got was the number we had to pick on a touchscreen monitor. When you pressed the number you heard a car engine being switched on and if the car started up you won the car. I was the 14th to try, no.17 was the winner, a lovely woman from Donabate. Fingers crossed for the next one! : )

johnrm

Delphi Monthly offer

Post by johnrm » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:14 pm

http://www.delphimountainresort.com/

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:46 pm

abbeyackbar wrote:Re:fm104 car finale
no joy today. The finale took place in FM104. There was 26 qualifiers there and there was no more qualifying rounds. We all picked a raffle ticket when we signed in. The number we got was the number we had to pick on a touchscreen monitor. When you pressed the number you heard a car engine being switched on and if the car started up you won the car. I was the 14th to try, no.17 was the winner, a lovely woman from Donabate. Fingers crossed for the next one! : )
Hard luck Denise :cry:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:41 pm

CLOSING DATE TODAY 30/09/2010

Onefinance.ie - it's a fantasy fund management game for a trip to NYC. Must be in by midnight, sorry about the short notice.

PS

Freakycat won another weekend (Athlone this time) while I was in the UK and a 32" TV this week. :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Missed the deadline :cry:
But many congrats to freakycat on the wins =D> =D> =D>

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:56 am

medic143 wrote:CLOSING DATE TODAY 30/09/2010

Onefinance.ie - it's a fantasy fund management game for a trip to NYC. Must be in by midnight, sorry about the short notice.

PS

Freakycat won another weekend (Athlone this time) while I was in the UK and a 32" TV this week. :D
\:D/ Congratulations! Nice prizes 8)

With 35mins. to go before the deadline, I just got in there for the fantasy fund management game. Thanks for letting us know!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 am

abbeyackbar wrote:
With 35mins. to go before the deadline, I just got in there for the fantasy fund management game. Thanks for letting us know!
No problem, myself (medic143), Lisa (freakycat) and my sister (LottoLady - not a geocacher) are all registered. Hopefully you'll see one of those names near the top of the leaderboard.

Only found out about the competition about an hour before I posted it on the forum. Got an urgent text from Lisa with orders to do the picking and entering.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:11 am

medic143 wrote:Got an urgent text from Lisa with orders to do the picking and entering.
:lol:

I entered Paul, my mom and sister. The picking was a bit rushed but it'll be fun to see how we do.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 pm

£100 of shopping vouchers won today in a local radio competition . In with a 25% chance tomorrow to win another £200 .
Previous wins include a night out for 4 to a murder / mystery event and a meal for 4 in a local restaurant.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:41 am

thanks eric just won my first comp due to the suggestions you made about enter early enter often...I won a hostel world gold membership so no hostel booking fees for me on my trip...did find out later though that these same gold memberships are available at www.hostelworld.com/gold for free....ah well its a start...