March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Competitions

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

medic143

Re: Competitions

Post by medic143 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:38 am

Colm Hayes is doing a Harvey Norman competition between 1100 & 1300 every day this week. Good daily prize and each correct answer even if it doesn't win the daily prize goes into a big draw on Monday.

Oh. Freakycat was yesterday's daily prize winner. Of course on the day when the prize was a dinning room set rather than the camera or blue ray system =D> or :cry: (not sure which)

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:28 am

medic143 wrote:Colm Hayes is doing a Harvey Norman competition between 1100 & 1300 every day this week. Good daily prize and each correct answer even if it doesn't win the daily prize goes into a big draw on Monday.

Oh. Freakycat was yesterday's daily prize winner. Of course on the day when the prize was a dinning room set rather than the camera or blue ray system =D> or :cry: (not sure which)
Well done! =D>
I'd say you could probably ask for store credit to the value of the prize instead of getting the dining room set. No harm asking anyway. They can only say no :)

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:04 pm

abbeyackbar wrote:
Well done! =D>
I'd say you could probably ask for store credit to the value of the prize instead of getting the dining room set. No harm asking anyway. They can only say no :)
That's the plan.

I think I saw your name make a brief appearance like mine in the onefinanace top 50 in Week 3 before we both disappeared.

Lisa went from nowhere to 5th in week 4 to nowhere again but along way to go yet

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Ray Darcy/Ian Dempsey are giving away 1000 euro five times a day this week (I know it's a bit late but it's still on tomorrow)

Just listen out for the key word and text it with your name to the text number within the specified time

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:09 pm

It's actually €1000 x 5 times a day on each of the five shows starting with Iano and finishing with The Last Word 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Was lying in my cot this morning, and flicked on the radio (Today FM) at 7.55am...

" and well done to Eric Henry, from Dundalk, who has just won the great prize of a hotel stay in such and such a place..."....

I turned over and went back to bed.. !! :^o :^o :^o

Well done though ! 8) 8)

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Was lying in my cot this morning, and flicked on the radio (Today FM) at 7.55am...

" and well done to Eric Henry, from Dundalk, who has just won the great prize of a hotel stay in such and such a place..."....

Well done though ! 8) 8)

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Spark_ie wrote:Was lying in my cot this morning, and flicked on the radio (Today FM) at 7.55am...

Well done though ! 8) 8)
Deja vu, eh?? :twisted:
Up is good!!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Congrats Medic =D> =D> =D>

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Congrats to Medic from me too

The Casual Geocacher

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 am

Spark_ie wrote:Was lying in my cot this morning, and flicked on the radio (Today FM) at 7.55am...

Well done though ! 8) 8)
:lol: =D> :lol: =D> I was on Today fm just after 11am the same day. They're giving away €15k this Friday on the Ray Darcy show . Each day 2 people compete to qualify for the final on Friday. They ask 5 questions each and the person who answers the most correctly qualifies. I got 4 out of 5 correct and so did the other contestant so it went to a tie breaker. Neither of us knew the answer so it went to a second tie breaking question and I was beat. Stupid soaps get me every time! cause I don't watch them. But just for playing I got €200 petrol voucher :D I was half expecting to hear freakycat was the contestant I as up against. Maybe we'll cross the airwaves one day, that would be funny :D

Abbey

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27 am

Go you Denise - while €15k would be fantasitc - €200 voucher for anything is not to be sniffed at either :)
=D> =D> =D>

I won a €250 voucher for The Travel Department - not even sure if I'll use it becasue their holidays are quite expensive ... I'll have to check up can I sell it or pass it on .

medic143

Post by medic143 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Well done both of you. Freakcat suffered a couple of beats on radio head to heads last year. :-(

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am

To any Insomnia coffee drinkers out there, keep your receipt to enter comp. To see "I am number four" in Movies@dundrum. Details at following link. Email to be sent before 1pm tomorrow. I got to see "morning glory" last month : ) no idea what this number four movie is about.
http://www.insomnia.ie/2011/01/win-a-pa ... our-movie/

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:38 pm

But with the wins has come some huge loses...the biggest being the 98fm finale for €100,000 I don't know if you heard about it? you had to have a golden ticket (of which there were only 98) which you could get by either being caller 98 when it was time to phone in, or find a ticket hidden somewere in Dublin by figuring out the clues they would give out to its location.

I was in Malahide when I heard the 2nd clue and there were already a bunch of people looking for the ticket. I was on the street facing The Grand Hotel when they gave out clue number 3 & I knew straight away it was in the hotel! so I ran as fast as I could towards the hotel (along with a bunch of other crazies), and people were pulling up to the hotel in their cars and running inside (imagine the train station scene from Rat Race )
ratrace.jpg
RatRace trainstation scene - they're running for the locker roonm that contains a bag with $1,000,000 in it. Great movie!
ratrace.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
The hotel staff were none to pleased we had descended on the hotel looking under seats etc. and the people there didn't know what was going on. I was trying to look for the ticket and explain to the people what we were doing, so then they started looking and the management wanted us out but there was too many of us by then! As people raced on to the next seating area, I stopped at the public payphones and thought maybe... and there it was, golden ticket #38! stuck to the underside of the payphone. It was a great feeling. I felt like Charlie Bucket! (or FTF, times a million, or 100,000 :) ) I thank Geocaching for me finding the ticket because I was used to looking for hidden things in public places.

But then there was the finale...98 golden ticket holders each picked out a number from a hat (literally) and that was the order you went up in for your chance to pick a ball from a concealed box of golden and black balls. If you picked out a black ball you were out of the competition, if you picked out a golden one, you were through to the next round. I picked out a golden ball every time (5 rounds exactly) I made it to the final 3 people. There were only 3 balls in the box now, 2 black and 1 golden ball. I picked out number 2 from the hat which meant I would go 2nd to pick a ball if the 1st person didn’t pick the golden ball. But they beat the odds and the 1st person picked out the golden ball, it was just their lucky day. It’ll be mine someday, I just have to keep entering competitions! I was used to coming second in these type of finales so I wasn’t too devasted. I do feel they should have a better runner up prize than the goody bag prize everyone gets. It’s a huge jump from winner’s prize to goody bag when you come 2nd or 3rd.
Quote taken from my post in 'Dublin Airport -Terminal 2 operational trials' thread before this Competitions thread was created

Remember that? well, IT'S BACK! 98 golden tickets - 1 in 98 chance of winning €100,000 :D and.................I got a ticket! :ban I tried finding one hidden on the street but it's like geocaching for an FTF but even the muggles are in on it, I was beaten to the find. I was texter 98 though when they played a certain song.

Here we go again :lol: I must be mad, but if you're not in.....

So who's going to find one next? There are over 70 tickets left. The competition only started this week.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Well done Denise - must find out your secrets later :D

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Blue Jay wrote:Well done Denise - must find out your secrets later :D
Missed your chance at the event this weekend. Secrets were revealed at the competition sub event that took place in the corridoor outside the pub :lol:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:48 pm

medic143 wrote:
Blue Jay wrote:Well done Denise - must find out your secrets later :D
Missed your chance at the event this weekend. Secrets were revealed at the competition sub event that took place in the corridoor outside the pub :lol:
:evil: :evil:

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat May 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Online competition for a Kelkin hamper

http://www.kelkin.ie/competition.php

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m