March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Geocaching in Movies

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Geocaching in Movies

Post by CluelessTwo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:30 pm

I saw a thread similar to this on another forum.
The idea is to identify what could be seen as geocaching in various movies.

If you can include a picture and a possible narrative to add to the fun.

It can be made up or genuine.

Ill start with The Shawshank Redemption.

...Red goes looking for a box which was hidden by Andy. All he had to go on was, that it was in Buxton in a corn field with a stone wall running up to an oak tree on the north side, under a volcanic rock was the clue.

OTP
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Geocaching in Movies

Post by OTP » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Does Chasing Rainbows (1930) count as a DNF?
Attachments
Chasing_Rainbows1930.jpg
Chasing_Rainbows1930.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 2466 times

dino

Post by dino » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 am

CluelessTwo wrote: ...Red goes looking for a box which was hidden by Andy. All he had to go on was, that it was in Buxton in a corn field with a stone wall running up to an oak tree on the north side, under a volcanic rock was the clue.
Clearly a breach of the guidelines....no demonstrable GPS usage. This should have been listed on letterboxing [-X

:wink: 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Clearly a breach of the guidelines....no demonstrable GPS usage. This should have been listed on letterboxing [-X
He also took the box with him!

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 pm

No caches in drystone walls either :D
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:00 pm

...ok points taken, though in fairness, it was an early form of geocaching before GPS was in use. He did use a compass though.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:13 pm

We're just taking the mick out of the film

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Zoe andDaddy wrote:We're just taking the mick out of the film

you can take the mick, but you have to leave something of equal value 8)

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:23 pm

I was just playing along, I was seeing the sarcasm.

Any more, anyone?

dino

Post by dino » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Se7en could be a really vicious Puzzle cache :twisted:

OTP

Post by OTP » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Yeah, but the final cache container left a lot to be desited and it wasn't even very waterproof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzAIZN9HuFg
Attachments
seven6.jpg

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 am

I think were seeing a trend here. Morgan Freeman seems to be the man to get his hands on the box.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Ah, I think yiz are gettin a bit aHead of yourselves!

OTP

Post by OTP » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:05 pm

If we were getting a bit ahead of ourselves, how about going down a different track. Stand by me. Traditional cache involvina a long hike, hidden in the woods, plenty of tree cover with the emphasis on being the FTF.
Attachments
stand17.jpg

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Stand By Me was filmed in Brownsville Oregon, not far from my home. Every summer there's a celebration of the movie and, to bring this full circle, there have been a couple of event caches.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:43 pm

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" must have been placed before the current rulings also since the stash was eventually retrieved not only within the confines of a churchyard without permission but actually in a grave! Tch Tch!! Great movie!

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:45 pm

Kili or bust wrote:"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" must have been placed before the current rulings also since the stash was eventually retrieved not only within the confines of a churchyard without permission but actually in a grave! Tch Tch!! Great movie!
one of my favourites :lol: :D :D

OTP

Post by OTP » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:27 am

You know what its like; you find the listing in dead Billy Bones chest, you make all the travel arrangements to get to a Treasure Island only to find that some Muppet who's been living locally for years has beaten you to the cache.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:09 am

Kili or bust wrote:"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" must have been placed before the current rulings also since the stash was eventually retrieved not only within the confines of a churchyard without permission but actually in a grave! Tch Tch!! Great movie!
and it was buried :shock:

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:54 am

The Goonies adventure is pretty close to what happens whilst geocaching, including: The secret caves. The old lighthouse. The lost map. The treacherous traps. The hidden treasure. Also the muggles AKA ' the Fratellis' a ruthless family of criminals. They capture one of the kids and the following conversation takes place:

[the Fratellis are interrogating Chunk]
Francis Fratelli: Tell us everything! Everything!
Chunk: Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
Jake Fratelli: I'm beginning to like this kid, Ma!
Mama Fratelli: [tired of Chunk's stalling] Hit puree!

now that's what is known as spilling your guts, and being brutally honest, don't you think!