March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Lookinf for a Nuvi

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Kili or bust

Lookinf for a Nuvi

Post by Kili or bust » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:50 pm

By any chance is anybody trading up and getting rid of a Nuvi with Irish mapping. Two of my sons and partners living in new parts of the island and looking for a cheap Sat/Nav. Both students so not able to spend much so just putting it out there.

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Lookinf for a Nuvi

Post by Hezekiah » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 am

I have a steam-driven Streetpilot III, if that's of any interest (need to fit stronger suspension in the front, though!) :twisted: :twisted:
Up is good!!

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 am

How cheap are they looking for?

I'm buying the bog-standard Nuvi 205 (UK & Irish maps) for Mum for Christmas...think Halfrauds have it new for €155

Edited to add: UK Halfrauds have it even cheaper, works out at around €140 at the currentexchange rate...and I'm going to UK for Christmas if that any help?

dino

Post by dino » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:30 pm

I got a rebox with full warranty Nuvi from handtec.co.uk a few years ago at a very good price. No idea if they still do them or if they deliver to Ireland but were great to deal with even when it broke down 6mths later. Got another model with full warranty again.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:30 am

JRM-IRL wrote:How cheap are they looking for?

I'm buying the bog-standard Nuvi 205 (UK & Irish maps) for Mum for Christmas...think Halfrauds have it new for €155

Edited to add: UK Halfrauds have it even cheaper, works out at around €140 at the currentexchange rate...and I'm going to UK for Christmas if that any help?
You should not expect to pay that much for it. I purchased a 255w for 173 euro from Mysatnave.ie last week.
I guess about 100 or even less for 205.

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:17 pm

spy caleb wrote:
JRM-IRL wrote:How cheap are they looking for?

You should not expect to pay that much for it. I purchased a 255w for 173 euro from Mysatnave.ie last week.
I guess about 100 or even less for 205.
Uh? He doesn't even stock the 205 :?:
(I can't find it on his website anyway?)

The cheapest Garmin Nuvi he has is a 1210 at €147...

And the fact that he appears to be an online-only Irish business is a problem for me - the gift is for a UK resident...I need to buy preferably from a bricks & mortar with a UK presence.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:45 pm

"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Cool, they've dropped the price again!...comes out at €111 now

Wonder what it'll be by Christmas Eve :twisted:

Nice one, thanks!

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks a bunch for all the help guys. I have passed on all the info.