March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Tent Poles

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Zoe andDaddy

Tent Poles

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:48 am

I have just won on ebay a Gelert Rocky 3 tent which was very cheap due to having two sections of one of the poles broken. The pole is 8.5mm diameter but I am unsure of the length as the seller had posted the item before they read my request for the length.

I have been checking out replacement poles and have found loads all at different prices. Does anyone know a good place to get one of these or is replacing the section as easy as they say it is.
If anyone has one of these tents and could let me know what length the sections are please post away.

Thanks

dino

Re: Tent Poles

Post by dino » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Have you tried the manufacturer's website? You might be able to order spare parts there?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Which pole is broken?

The manufacturers website lists the following poles

Poles: 2 x 8.5mm Fibreglass, 1 x 7.9mm Fibreglass

Replacement sections can be found here

8.5mm dia x 600mm Pole Section

7.9mm dia x 600mm Pole Section

You should be able to remove the shock cord from the existing pole, replace the broken sections threading the shock cord through them and reconnect the shock cord. The pole lengths can be cut with a hacksaw to the required length to match the damaged sections if required.

Would anyone guess I used to work in an outdoor pursuits centre in charge of equipment repair? :roll:

Hope this is of help to you Lawrence!!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks,

now I know the size I can order the replacement sections.

Thanks Wildfowler it sounds easy I will give it a go if I get stuck I know who to ask for help.