March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Caching dogs

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Caching dogs

Post by parkmoy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Does anyone know if my dog can have a geocaching account in her own name?

dino

Re: Caching dogs

Post by dino » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Yep. Lots of dogs have accounts including one of the US reviewers' dogs
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by spy caleb » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Now we know how Parkmoy get all his finds :wink:

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I think I'll just leave this one alone, shees!! :roll:

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 pm

So, could she become a member of this forum then?

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 pm

and post? Well not on her own, she's not computer literate obviously so I'd have to help her obviously.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Barkin' mad, I say! :mrgreen:

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:12 pm

No, she's very sensible actually. Might be able to give the canine viewpoint.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Hair of the dog I think!

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:03 am

I'm looking forward to see where this is going.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 am

I think Parky needs his tummy tickled! Wuff! :lol:

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 am

parkmoy wrote:and post? Well not on her own, she's not computer literate obviously so I'd have to help her obviously.
I've seen what dogs do to posts - and it's neither hygienic nor safe near electrical equipment!

Perhaps she could write a wuff guide to caching?

Or describe how her dogged temperament is essential in the search?

I look forward to her first log :roll:
Up is good!!

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:16 am

Dalm..nation! Just have to "bow" since that comment is of a superior pedigree!

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:25 am

Kili or bust wrote:Dalm..nation! Just have to "bow" since that comment is of a superior pedigree!
Oh dear :shock:

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:26 am

Well I thought since we have an 'Ask the Reviewer' thread for specific geocaching type questions we could have one for personal ones. A bit like an agony aunt thing. Things that a reviewer wouldn't necessarily have experience of. I thought of calling it 'One man and his dog'. Like I said earlier my dog's very sensible and might even give good advice.

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 am

parkmoy wrote:Well I thought since we have an 'Ask the Reviewer' thread for specific geocaching type questions we could have one for personal ones. A bit like an agony aunt thing. Things that a reviewer wouldn't necessarily have experience of. I thought of calling it 'One man and his dog'. Like I said earlier my dog's very sensible and might even give good advice.
Hmmmm........... did you take the trouble to ask her if she wanted an account of her own? I'd be interested in her good advice on that one! :twisted:
Up is good!!

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:24 am

Well I'd only be there to translate so to speak. The advice would come from her - I wouldn't interfere. I think the title is catchy though 'One man and his dog'. I mean some people might not like the idea of advice from a canine source no matter how good it was, hence the 'one man' bit. Mind you I suppose some might not like the advice anyway but you can't please everyone, obviously.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 am

Frezeluberz wrote:
Kili or bust wrote:Dalm..nation! Just have to "bow" since that comment is of a superior pedigree!
Oh dear :shock:

Doesn't look so bad now after the last lot of puppy crock!! :mrgreen:

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:22 pm

I am working on trying to train a labrador and a cocker spaniel to sniff out tupperware! Hasn't been too sucessful so far but I'll get there in the end! :lol:

I did manage to accidently train them to nick the golf balls off the greens, at the golf course behind where I live, to much amusement!
Obviously not to the golfers though! They seem to get rather annoyed when it happens! But then they will play golf!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Are yours any good for my idea Wildfowler? Then we could call it 'Two men and their dogs' and if we got enough dog owners I suppose it could be renamed 'Every man and his dog'.