March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Windows 7

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

TeamHousty

Windows 7

Post by TeamHousty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 am

I have been testing Windows 7 (RTM) since it was released for download on MSDN, etc and I have to say, i am very surprised. It looks like MS have finally listened to customers and made changes.

Increased compatibility - some apps that i had that would not work with Vista now work.
Fast boot
Removed a good deal of those annoying pop-ups ( do you wish to run this program :x etc)

So far in my testing I can see no reason why, i can't or shouldn't role out across the company before Christmas.... in fact i have upgraded both laptops and home computer.

ooohh and MS Multi-touch is now a reality - it is soooo cool :D :D :D :D

NaDoohans

Re: Windows 7

Post by NaDoohans » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Sounds great.
Could you come to Tory and update mine :lol: I'm useless at tech stuff!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Is Multi-touch like multi-point drag on the iPhone?

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 pm

yep - thats it - they are using the same tech as in microsoft surface..

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:19 am

TeamHousty wrote:So far in my testing I can see no reason why, i can't or shouldn't role out across the company before Christmas.... in fact i have upgraded both laptops and home computer.
I certainly won't be rolling out to the enterprise in that time frame. I'll be waiting a minimum of 6 months, with 12 months the most lightly time frame. To deploy 2 months after release is too risky for me!

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:19 am

christmas is a slight bending of the truth..... :oops: in reality with my workload at present, rolling out to 50 odd pc's aint happening this side of christmas
too many end-users involved :wink:

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm not sure if I posted this anywhere else on the forum...
http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

Multi-touch here too.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Is waiting for SP1 not a general rule-of-thumb?
I thought it was still in beta testing?!

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:33 am

Frezeluberz wrote:Is waiting for SP1 not a general rule-of-thumb?
That's usually the rule alright. Test test and test until SP1.
Frezeluberz wrote:I thought it was still in beta testing?!
It went RTM a couple weeks ago and it due for public release around Oct 22nd.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:29 am

donnacha wrote:It went RTM a couple weeks ago and it due for public release around Oct 22nd.
Yikes, I've gone off the boil - it's all this geocaching!! :roll:
[Until SP1 it's still in beta really though (unofficially) ... just being tested by Joe Public instead]

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:20 am

I've been using the RC of this for the last few months and had surprisingly few problems with it.
Granted that's as a home user, I've no idea if the Enterprise version is as stable.