March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Renting in Belfast

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Kili or bust

Renting in Belfast

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 am

Just a query for any of you northern folk who may be able to help. My son and partner are looking to rent a small house or apartment within easy distance of Queens University. Just looking for somewhere pleasant. Any suggestions about areas to look at?

brackyboggers

Post by brackyboggers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:16 pm

Our daughter has just rented a place in the Q.U.B area for September. I've asked her opinion and she recommends the Stranmillis area or the Lisburn Road area - both are within easy walking distance of Queens and most houses (she says) are decent here. Your son is welcome to PM her if he wants to ask anything more. Her boyfriend has lived in the Q.U.B area for 3 years so they're both familiar with the area.

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Stranmillis Road, without a doubt. There are some reasonably nice flats, etc (which are quiet!) near Stranmillis College (I know people who have lived there and never had any problems).

There are a large number of places that I would suggest they stay well away from though!

You know where I work Sean, so if you need anymore advice, just ask.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 pm

I would recommend the Holy lands. Party central! annoy everyone in sight and out of sight. Houses meant for 4 people housing usually around 10 of em'. The rest of the houses look like dumps but apart from the above its a beautiful area and you can do a nice we walking cache dash around the city before getting back to the wrecking!

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:10 pm

I would not recommend the Holy Lands!! I went to Queen's and the Holy Lands is a last resort location.
It's nice to party there ... maybe, but it's nice to go back to a quieter location after the party is over.
Stranmillis is one of the nicest places (cheap/expensive relatively? Don't know).
Lisburn Road is a hive of students in the lower section.
Ormeau road above the bridge is quite nice too (friends lived there without incident).

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:12 am

Are your son and partner going to be studying at Queens this year? If so they may want to be wary of renting in the Holylands. I work for QUB and have just read about the change of procedures for disciplinary offences after last years Holylands disturbances. Queens can now issue bigger fines and carry out greater punishments such as suspension or explusion. I'm saying this because in talking to quite a few students about it, a fair few got fines etc even though they weren't directly involved in any trouble, they either just happened to be at a party there or that they lived in some of the houses in the area in question. It's unforntunate but a small proportion of troublemakers got a lot more tarred with the same brush.
I would agree with Frezeluberz that Stranmillis is one of the nicer areas to live around here!! But get in early as most of the good houses go fast!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:23 pm

I have been out of the country under a year and people are starting to take me seriously! ah how things change.