March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Geocaching Statistics

Talk about anything

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
yotter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Geocaching Statistics

Post by yotter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:32 pm

I was at an RYA (Royal Yachting Association) NI Council meeting last week where we received a presentation from the Northern Ireland Countryside Access and Activities Network (A quango which brings together all groups and bodies which have an interest in or involvement in countryside recreation in Northern reland). She was asking us for data from all the sailing clubs about membership and participation in Sailling.

After the meeting I asked her was she interested in data about GeoCaching - blank stare! She had never heard of it and after talking for a while she decided they were not interested because there were probably only a few people involved.

This was a red rag to a bull so now I am determined to at least give her some information about current participation so that in the future they do at least have Geocaching on the list.

Now for the tricky bit . . . They were asking questions like Approx number of members, % Female, % under 16, % disabled, % ethnic minority and as regards participation % who actually participate and how many events are run and attendance at those events.

What I would like to do is give her some of these figures as regards GeoCaching e.g.
Number of registered users based NI/Ireland
Number of Caches in NI/Ireland
Average number of cachers active NI/Ireland
Number of finds/month NI/Ireland
Number of events/participation this year in NI/Ireland

Some of this information I can glean myself with some work and GSAK. I would be grateful for any statistics on Geocaching in Ireland for stufff that people may have already collected. I know GC won't give out member numbers or anything.

Cheers
Yotter
Back from the dead (Man Flue)

johnrm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by johnrm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 am

I'm sure the crew in Seattle would be happy to give you stats on GCing in Ireland.
They surely have the best handle on this, and will save you lots of time and grey matter!

dino

Post by dino » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:23 am

Ireland Stats as of 9/12/08

Total No. of Caches placed in Ireland (N&S): 1948

Live: 1647
TD: 21
Archived: 306

Breakdown by Type:

Traditional: 1567 (1332 live)
Multi: 213 (183 live)
Letterbox Hybrid: 2 (1 live)
CITO: 2 (0 live)
Event: 39 (1 live)
Virtual: 23 (16 live)
Webcam: 3 (3 live)
Mystery:92 (78 live)
Earthcache: 7 (7 live)
Wherigo: 1 (1 live)

Total No. of Logs : 74348 (in my DB which may not be 100% complete?)
No. of Logs on Events (inc CITO) Only: 1341*

*this will be a mixture of "Will Attend", "Notes", "Attended" logs and shouldn't be taken as a total attended.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

sgtzara
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Re: Geocaching Statistics

Post by sgtzara » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Wow, how geocaching has expanded since then in Ireland. Interesting reading.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Who was it you were talking to in CAAN Robin? I used to work in the same building as them in Barnett's Demesne when I worked for Belfast Activity Centre. You might want to mention that there is a cache stuck to the wall light on the left hand side of their courtyard gates! They should talk to BAC too as some of the instructors are cachers and have teaching it to the kids!
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Here's the cache - http://coord.info/GC26QRC
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:19 am

Not sure if Robin is still active on the forum? This is an old thread from 2008.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 am

Oops! Missed that bit! Nevermind!
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:33 pm

:)